Green building/eco village in Bristol. Fancy it???

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

After going to the center for alternative technology I have come back all inspired and want to make the first move at putting this plan into action. Anyone still interested should try and make it to the Bell in Bath on Tuesday 11th September at 5pm. This is where our first meeting is to held.

All are welcome to join us and we are hopefully going to work out who can do what for the opening stages, ie planning, land etc.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

SueSteve
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sorry Andy, I am still interested, but won't be able to make it.
Would be interested to here what is proposed.
Cheers,
Sue

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok. A brief description of the first meeting.

We need to visit as many people who have already done it and find out what went wrong and right. So we are going to visit -

Findhorn
tinkers bubble
coed hills
CAT
somewhere in the forest of Dean
Kingshill
and a place in ireland and the new forest

Hmm, three places that need extra research but that is fine.

We also need to find out what everyone wants and make sure that the project fits everyones wants and needs.

I must say in all the meeting seemed to take the right direction.

Ok, so anyone still interested and wanting to be involved should contact me before the middle of October when we have the next meeting.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

SueSteve
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for that Andy.
We are only a few miles away from the F of Dean, we lived there for a while until 3 years ago.
I think there was a eco village near Lydney, I will make some enquiries.
Sue

catalyst
Living the good life
Living the good life

how about contacting stepping stones at highbury farm, on edge of forest of dean?
or go to a radical routes gathering?

gigglybug
A selfsufficientish Regular

This sounds really cool!!! :dave:

How are things going?? Is there still hope for the Isher eco-village?

Amanda

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

anywhere that's near to a GWR line is good for us... but I also want assurances that I wont get told off for giving soph a bag of crisps every now and again, or giving in and going to kfc on occasion too lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

SteveP
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bristol eco-housing co-op died?

What happened to the Bristol eco-housing co-op? A few months ago they found what seemed a good site with the support of the Council. It was East of the Feeder canal on the riverside. I tried searching for their website but its down. Perhaps they folded? See: http://www.cooperatives-uk.coop/News/ne ... ingBristol

Steve

jondy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Something to look at is the 'Walter Segal' method of building. This is cheap fast wood frame construction. There is a site in South East London
(Honor Oak Park area?) where the local council agreed to a development many years ago. I looked into this, I built a smallish consruction in my back garden based on his principals. I put posts into concrete rather than normal foundations, think the method is known as post and beam. If it has been done before and approved by a London council it would have chances. It would be easy to make these buildings very cheap to run as well as cheap to build.
Good Luck
John

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

This sounds like a lovely plan! Just wish I could afford to build a place too... :(
Of course, if there were ecohomes available to rent, I'd totally be interested!
Harm None!

Smokehouse
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

abroad?

Is there any way any one would consider this abroad? Think about it, more sunshine for solar power, better weather so less need for insulation and heating, less rates, council tax, water rates, in short less beauracry to deal with and cheaper in general. I am going to spend three months touring Europe next year for this very purpose. At the moment inland Spain and central Portugal appear to be the most appealing and certainly the cheapest from a land purchasing point of view.
I know I aint doing much....................
But.....doing nothing means a lot to me

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Going abroad would be good for growing or solar.

However, it wouldnt suit me personally. I need to work in the UK for a while at what i want to do to get my reputation.

Then i can branch out to Europe...

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Green building/eco village in Bristol. Fancy it???

Have you looked at "the Self-build book", Jon Broome and Brian Richardson, Green Books, Bideford, 1991? It's a bit out of date and some of the recommendations for Segal Houses don't meet current building regs, but there is a section guiding anyone through initial stages as well as some inspirational bits. It's also got an afterword by John Seymour (what more recommendation do you need?)

Also if you go to the bbc homepage and search for Earthships Brighton there are videos and text about building an eco village to the earthship design, supported by Brighton housing dept and Chichester Diocese,

Hope that's been of help. Best of luck when you do get round to it!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Dalas
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hey, I've been thinking about this idea for a while now. Judging from the hassle that a lot of people get, it would take a group of totally determined and dedicated people. My girlfriend (who lives in Norway) and I are planning to move in together sometime in the near-ish future and have talked about the possibility of starting or joining a Commune/Eco village. I've been searching for possible starting points and this seems a great one. Only possible problem is that I may be moving out when I go to Uni in a year or 2, and I don't really intend on staying around here unless I go to Bristol Uni, which could happen.

Anyway, I'm a bit off topic. Basically, I live very close to you guys (2 stops away on the train, 30 mins to the other side of Bath as you probably know) and am very interested in this idea, I'll aim to come to the next meeting as well, if I'm not off galavanting!

Bit of a ramble but cheers for reading, and I hope to meet you soon for some very interesting eco-chats!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Mention of this today on Rad4 - talking to the first eco village peeps (east midlands ish?)and talking about the next one as being Bristol
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: