Cob 'barn'?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cob 'barn'?

Hey all.

We'll be going down the 'field to farm' type route soon enough. Part of this process is applying for prior notice of agricultural use building. I've searched everywhere for information on what are the materials criteria for such a barn but cant find it. I've read that the materials from which you make you're barn are crucial to complying with planning requirements.

We would love to try a cob shed/barn structure rather than anything steel or tin, but wonder if this is allowed or if anyone has attempted it.
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Cob 'barn'?

I have no experience of this, but I would imagine that each area has its own rules.

For example, in the Peak District you're not supposed to use red brick (well used not to anyway) so I think your best bet is to check with your local planning dept.

It all sounds very exciting though - we'd like pictures please, before during and after!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'd go for timber frame with either timber cladding or wattle and daub/lime render finish

Or maybe a straw bale

I'd be worried the pigs would burrow out of cob!

Thatch would be nice for a roofing material
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cob is a fantastic material and I love the look and feel of cob but it is just too labour intensive for me.

I would probably go for straw bail and if you have enough land to go down the field to farm route you could allow a local farmer to use one of your fields for growing wheat in return for the bails. Now that would be a local building material.

Paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Something just occurred to me, with regard to planning, if you are wanting to go down the route of more "unusual" building materials. (I put it in quotes as cob shouldn't be unusual really, it's been round for hundreds of years).

Many planners are wary these days of folk trying to build barns that might easily be converted into dwellings (housing by stealth sort of thing). Metal prefab constructions by and large don't fall into that category so proceed fairly easily. You might find yourself having to explain your choice of materials and why you particularly want it for this project.

Or your planners may have a more enlightened approach. It has to be worth considering though - it can get quite pricey getting suitable drawings etc for the planners.
Maggie

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks everyone.
Green Aura wrote: Metal prefab constructions by and large don't fall into that category so proceed fairly easily. You might find yourself having to explain your choice of materials and why you particularly want it for this project.
Yes, thank you. I was coming to realise myself after looking at what we had to submit, that we would be making it difficult on ourselves if we tried using 'unusual' materials. You confirmed it for me.
Our first priority is to get an outbuilding on there and get ourselves on there soon after, so going with timber/brick/metal sheets has got to be the way and the cob can wait for the future house (she says thinking positively ;) )
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very sensible. Someone who used to be a member on here (can't remember who now) wrote about getting planning permission by stealth. Obviously legislation may have changed but at one point the only chance was by proving you needed to be there for your business. So get that part sorted and then look to your dwelling. I'm guessing there's sufficient (written) material on cob to get that through eventually - you may need very good architect plans though.
Maggie