Rainwater harvesting project - next steps

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Rainwater harvesting project - next steps

Solar pumps I would tend to agree with you and the report unless they are really good solar panels on them I can see their lifespan won't be great at all a bit like those cheap solar garden lights , which as you say negates any sort of saving.
That said , from a financial point at least, with the average saving from fitting a meter being something like £50 a year there must be scope. As I said a wind powered pump would be purely mechanical and use simple pipes or small buckets on a loop and could surely be built for £50 -£100 and payback after two years. Think of the windmills built by the Dutch that pumped water for years and years , can't we build something like that only smaller that will last more than a couple of years or are we so reliant on cheap Chinese crap that falls apart as soon as it's taken out of the box?

Pete

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Skippy wrote: or are we so reliant on cheap Chinese crap that falls apart as soon as it's taken out of the box
Pete
Agreed - perhaps that's my next project.

Zoe

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Skippy wrote:As I said a wind powered pump would be purely mechanical and use simple pipes or small buckets on a loop and could surely be built for £50 -£100 and payback after two years. Think of the windmills built by the Dutch that pumped water for years and years , can't we build something like that only smaller that will last more than a couple of years
There used to be thousands of these all across the prairies on this side of the pond. They are considered scrap metal these days. Someone could probably refurbish them and re-sell them. They were built to last.