Passivhaus + triple glazing

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

Passivhaus + triple glazing

I have some failed 25-year-old double-glazing windows, so I thought I'd look into replacing them with higher-standard units. I was inspired by a Finnish woman on breakfast TV when we had all that snow last year... triple-glazing and loads of insulation was standard for everyone there, and -20C was a common occurrence etc.

Anyway I sent webforms off to two UK suppliers of Passivhaus-standard triple glazing (there don't seem to be many). Neither bothered to reply. Not even a robot acknowledgement. Obviously don't want to deal with oiks from the public . Or they are just too busy in these economic times.

So I asked a local DG firm to come and talk to me. He'd never heard of of Passivhaus, but was happy to venture his opinion that it was a waste of time.

You can see why this stuff doesn't catch on, can't you?

Big Al

Re: Passivhaus + triple glazing

I found this site a while back when I was starting my site off. Maybe it is of help dave.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Passivhaus is a German building system that involves much more than 3G windows. A DG firm won't necessarily know about whole house systems such as PH. For 3G windows try Russell Timbertech - no connection.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

dave45

TheGoodEarth wrote: A DG firm won't necessarily know about whole house systems such as PH
well maybe I'm a little naive then - its their business, I thought they'd understand the environment they are in.

but then I am often disappointed by all manner of suppliers of goods and services being generally clueless.

Millymollymandy

dave45 wrote:
TheGoodEarth wrote: A DG firm won't necessarily know about whole house systems such as PH
well maybe I'm a little naive then - its their business, I thought they'd understand the environment they are in.

but then I am often disappointed by all manner of suppliers of goods and services being generally clueless.
Hit the nail on the head there unfortunately. :(

It's a shame triple glazing is not more common, just because winters in western Europe are not necessarily as cold as Scandinavia anything which helps to reduce heating bills should be a wise investment. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

greenbuildingstore
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sorry you've had trouble getting information on Passivhaus windows. We offer several Passivhaus ranges for the UK - for more information go to our website at:

Our 10 minute documentary Future Passiv also offers a good introduction to the Passivhaus approach to low energy building at:

Admin Note: I'm sorry but I have had to delete your links - please read the following announcement re. our rules regarding advertising on this forum. http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 20&t=21812

jamesb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

we built a passivhaus 4 years ago (scotland),certainly works well. as was said, bit more than triple glazing. the reason why triple glazing hasn't caught on here is that a) relatively mild winters b) british houses are so poorly insulated ie walls and roofs that triple glazing not worth it unless the rest of the house is built to a high energy standard

James