compost toilet

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
ellesherwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

compost toilet

im really fortunate that i live a near as possible self sufficient life. we have a reed bed filtration system for our loo but still the ( if you will forgive the image) solids have to be taken away by a registered handler . therefore id love to build a compost toilet .

i have a concrete plinth which has a twelve foot drop on the other side . so that seems the ideal site . i have the plans and am ok with the concept. but does anyone have any experiences - good or bad - you know , the 'if only id known that before ' type of thing before i make any big mistakes in construction choices .

any advice please really most welcome. thanks folks ..

ps . the concrete plinth has a great view , couldnt think of a better place to build a loo :lol:

ellesherwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: compost toilet

starting the composting toilet next week so any suggestions please get them in now guys as id hate to build it and find its the wrong orientation or i should have lined it with finest silk or something........... joke......... honest . serioulsy though any last minute suggestions would be really welcome ,

this isnt our ' main loo' so the whole thing is a bit of an experiment made possible by a fair sized collection of left over breeze blocks and some wood . but though its not critical to the house , id like it to work, so any suggestions get them in before i get my trowl in my hand , thanks again :hugish:

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: compost toilet

Try the CAT site for hints & tips

http://www.cat.org.uk/information/catin ... ingToilets

& I'm sure the Strawbridges built one on 'It's Not Easy Being Green'

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!