What festival are you going to this year?

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

What festival are you going to this year?

Hi Everyone!OH and I were discussing festivals last night and we may go to Womad.We went a couple of years ago,and only live 40 mins from the site.Havent totally made our minds up yet.So......are you going to a festival?Have you been to it before?What was it like?Highlights?When we went to Womad we treated ourselves to a tipi in an enclosed section of the site.It was very quiet,had proper toilets(lol)and hot showers(luxury)and we had a great time!We really enjoyed the festival,just the right amount of people,and listened to some fantastic music.We had also been to The Big Green Gathering a few years ago,loved that as well.I quite fancy The Green Man?Anyone been?

Thurston Garden

Re: What festival are you going to this year?

Cropredyfor me again this year. Friendliest festival around. Good beer. Good music. Good company. Canny wait!
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Millymollymandy

I'm not, I'm far too old for that sort of thing. :mrgreen: I never even went to any when I was young, not that there were any then. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Millymollymandy wrote:I'm far too old for that sort of thing.
:shock:

Well if you are, MMM, then I'm pleased to say I've gone over the top and am now at the age again when I can enjoy them. Went to the Tartan Heart Festival at Belladrum last year - good fun. Depending who's on this year I may go again.

That's one thing age does determine - I couldn't go just because it's on! But Dick Gaughan was enough of a pull, even without the added bonus of the Levellers :iconbiggrin:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Thurston Garden

Two years ago at Cropredy I decided I was war too old to sleep on the ground anymore. Invested in a blow up matress!
Thurston Garden.

Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

pelmetman

The Ukulele festival in Suffolk again, this will be our 4 th year :thumbright: ...................Until you have heard heavy metal on a uke you haven't lived :mrgreen:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thurston Garden wrote:Cropredyfor me again this year. Friendliest festival around. Good beer. Good music. Good company. Canny wait!
I used to do Cropredy years back but found it was getting too big, too expensive and the line up was not as good. Memorable moments were seeing the Leningrad Cowboys (check them out on youtube), Bootleg Beatles (in the rain), John Martyn, Robert Plant, Jethro Tull and Roy Wood.
Started going to the Village Pump for a while which has a great atmosphere and is in a wonderful location. Best moments from there were The Levellers, The Waterboys, James Taylor, Suzanne Vega, Peatbog Fairies, Alabama 3.
Now I just do the Upton on Severn Blues Festival and a few bike rallies.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thinking of Farmer Phil's as a first festival.

http://www.farmerphilsfestival.com/index.htm

Got two early teens and a friend with similar, is this a good start ? not too big/expensive etc. No idea who bands are but bound to be a few good ones !

Any other recommendations ?
Sarah :flower:

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

sarahkeast wrote:Any other recommendations ?
http://www.knoydartfestival.com/ top place. top folks. should be a fab weekend :sunny:

happyhippy

baldybloke wrote:
Thurston Garden wrote:Cropredyfor me again this year. Friendliest festival around. Good beer. Good music. Good company. Canny wait!
I used to do Cropredy years back but found it was getting too big, too expensive and the line up was not as good. Memorable moments were seeing the Leningrad Cowboys (check them out on youtube), Bootleg Beatles (in the rain), John Martyn, Robert Plant, Jethro Tull and Roy Wood.
Started going to the Village Pump for a while which has a great atmosphere and is in a wonderful location. Best moments from there were The Levellers, The Waterboys, James Taylor, Suzanne Vega, Peatbog Fairies, Alabama 3.
We recently read the Village Pump is cancelled this year and may not even return????Such a shame too as its a stones throw from where we live as well! :(

Thurston Garden

Theres some grumblings about this years Cropredy line up on some forums. If the weather is good I will be very happy! I think a 3 day ticket is £90. Pretty good value imo. An I am a tight Jockaneese type person.
Thurston Garden.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

happyhippy wrote:
baldybloke wrote:
We recently read the Village Pump is cancelled this year and may not even return????Such a shame too as its a stones throw from where we live as well! :(
Yes I heard that as well, it seems it all went wrong after Alan Briars died a few years back. Another local festival is Chippenham and its their 40th anniversary. Steeleye Span played the 1st and are back again this year. I have a bit of a connection with this one as my dad was one of the original organisers.

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've always been a bit unsure of the Chippenham folk festival - a few too many morris dancers :?

Any suggestions - of other bands worth seeing, that are playing at this years festival?

happyhippy

We've been to the Chippenham Folk Festival a few years back and had a fab time!It is pretty small scale,and The Old Road Tavern had some great acts!I'm usually working now when its on!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not really a music festival but Devizes Festival in June is usually worth checking out. Rumour has it, the Yardbirds are playing this year. Also the party in the park has Jackie Leven playing this year and August Bank Holiday Monday the Market Place is shut to traffic and there are bands and street theatre.
On top of which the Cellar Bar at the Bear Hotel has regular blues nights on Friday's and the Conservative Club hosts the Long Street Blues Club, if you can forget your political scrupples. Aynsley Lister is playing there next Saturday.
What a hip and happening town I live in.