tv programme about self-sufficiency...

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
sophieandrews
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

tv programme about self-sufficiency...

DO YOU FEEL THAT MONEY RULES YOUR LIFE?

WANT TO GET BACK TO A SIMPLER WAY OF LIVING?

TV COMPANY LOOKING FOR COUPLES WHO WANT TO GIVE UP THEIR LIFE IN THE CITY FOR ONE YEAR AND FORGE A NEW SELF-SUFFICENT LIFE IN THE COUNTRY.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING PLEASE CONTACT SOPHIE ANDREWS sophieandrews@tigeraspect.co.uk

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Re: tv programme about self-sufficiency...

What about those of us trying to do it already, I don't suppose Tiger Aspect would consider giving us a few quid for the privilage of filming us in our perpetually muddy state. :mrgreen:

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Gert wrote:What about those of us trying to do it already, I don't suppose Tiger Aspect would consider giving us a few quid for the privilage of filming us in our perpetually muddy state. :mrgreen:
Nah, no can do there Gert. You will not be doing it right. Also in the opening comment it says is money ruling your life... Definatly is especially when you haven't got it in the first place !!

I'd love to do this but with a knackered back, no money at all and an unbeliving wife I'd be the last one they'd pick......unless they know better of course......and throw a lot of money at me,lol.
I hope it's not going to be a magazine type programme like Gardners world and INEBG as these have in my oppinion been damaged by the magazine format.

besides I'd be an uncouthed northerner at best......

Alan

Edited so as not to be too sarcastic ...
Last edited by Big Al on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Sophie has just sent me a flyer via email about the proposed programme but I couldn't open it. I've replied as I would be interested in knowing more but I doubt I'd get the chance to do it....

Alan
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

for 'money ruling your life' I read 'love of money ruling...' I reckon it's gonna be a n other 'place in the country' for those who also keep a 'place in town'
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

GRRRRR and GRRRRR again. Why is TV obsessed with COUPLES or FAMILIES!!!!!!

What about the challenges that single people face trying to be self-sufficient? Half as much time to do the same jobs, nobody to help lift heavy things or hold the tree while you fill in the planting hole etc etc.

Nope, it's strictly couples only in TV land.

Zoe

Helsbells

Humph, I sent her an email and didnt get a reply at all!!

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

I think the main problem is that you'd all be too good at it, and what she really wants is a Margo and Jerry couple, so the audience can enjoy watching them cringe in horror at the idea of getting stuck in to a bit of sheep dagging and laugh at them when Jerry puts carpets and curtains in the hen house. :mrgreen:

Best of luck if you do manage to get in on it, I imagine they pay your mortage/rent etc for the year that you are away, so not to be sniffed at.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

:wink: nod nod
GIVE UP THEIR LIFE IN THE CITY
they want redundant bankers
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

boboff

They do want people that will generate good TV.

You can not become self sufficient from scratch in a year, even the late great JS knew that.

But if I can only do what one man can do, I can do what one man can do....

I spoke to one firm on the phone once, and when they asked why I had been off work a year before really getting on with things, my answer that there was allot of "Adult Entertainment" on the Web to keep you busy! Needless to say they were not that interested in perusing/pursuing things!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I want to become self suficient but I wouldnt even bother applying for somthing like that, its not very self sufficient if the Tv company is paying for it is it? I hate the whole "its going to be difficult, deadlines to meet, but youll get there in the end script theese shows take. I prefer somthing like the adams farm part of countryfile.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nik and i are applying as a couple for the BBC one. We just like the idea of spending a summer on a farm to be honest...

We're hoping that it will be wanting people from all backgrounds, not just the 'rich' part of society.

It really pi$$es me off when they have these shows with people who aren't really interested, they just want to be on TV. Surely if the advert says 'Living on a farm' then people must understand that there's going to be hard work and mud involved (i'm hoping for the odd tractor...i did put that the Massey Ferguson 2008 was one of the major things that attracted me to farms...hmmm...tractor...).

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Simpler way of life? Hmmm?
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

JulieSherris

Oldfella, I agree with you... I think!
Simpler way of life, now let's see......

I should really do a spreadsheet comparison type thing to compare our life in Blackpool 3 yrs with how we live now.....
Then: If I got chilly, I'd run up 12 stairs & turn up the thermostat... wait 10 mins & the temperature goes up....
Now: I pop on my wellies & depending on the weather, my coat, hat, gloves... take a couple of baskets up to our hayshed & fill them with turf blocks - if the turf is low, I cut & split some wood as well - carry those down to the house - heavy too... then I bugger about with the Stanley, empty the ashpan, start or try & catch the fire... & wait for approx 20 mins for the heat tobuild up & start warming the place.....

Then: If I ran out of milk or other such essentials, I'd pop out of the back door, scoot down the back alley & straight into the 7am - 11pm Spar.... outside of those hours, it was a quick 5 mins in the car to one of the 3 24hr supermarkets or choose from a multitude of 24hr garages....
Now: Into the car, drive the 4k to one of the 2 villages either side of us - has to be between 8am & 7pm though, because everywhere is closed outside of those hours... and forward planning is essential!

Then: having a bath meant turning on the hot tap......
Now: During the summer, it means popping the immersion on for 30 mins, or lighting the Stanley.... in the winter it means making sure the Stanley is fired up for an hour to get the water nice & hot & keeping it fired to reheat the tank after using all the water! Then because our plumbing is a proper crappy system, spend 20 mins going between the kitchen & bathroom turning taps on low to get the air out of the system so the taps in the kitchen work!!

Simpler? Yeah right!! :lol: :lol:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

theabsinthefairy

JulieSherris wrote:
Simpler? Yeah right!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I couldn't laugh any harder out loud - simpler - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia