chutney face off

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
ADG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: chutney face off

try a card in a shop window and offer to swap inreturn of chutney, or I will send you some if you wanna swap for butteries ;-))

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

red wrote:I make a pretty good sweet curried green tomato chutney. pity not close enough to join in!
I just love explicit instructions - reduce and stir until the chutney has the consistency of chutney!!! :lol: :lol:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

MKG wrote:
red wrote:I make a pretty good sweet curried green tomato chutney. pity not close enough to join in!
I just love explicit instructions - reduce and stir until the chutney has the consistency of chutney!!! :lol: :lol:

Mike
why thank you, one tries.. one tries...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

How long do you guys generally cook your chutney for and at a boil, a regular simmer or the merest glimpse of a simmer?

I ask because when I've followed instructions for making chutney where it says to cook for only about 40 minutes it is either not anywhere near ready or if it is cooked a bit fast I end up with burnt vinegar taste.

So now I cook at the lowest possible temp for the longest possible time (2-3 hours).

About to do peach chutney tomorrow and I've had mixed results with my recipe, one time it was great and the next it tasted burnt. :( So I'm going to try to see if I can cook it slowly for much longer.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I find that if you try anything near a fast boil, your cooker and its surroundings turn a delicate shade of chutney :cry:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

Susie - thanks.

MKG - you need to look at the klutz thread. Chutney's nothing compared to the work surfaces turning a delicate shade of elderberry and recurrant jelly. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/