101 wonderous objects fished out of other people's rubbish

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 101 wonderous objects fished out of other people's rubbish

Loobyloo wrote:Am so jealous! Where are all of you finding this stuff?! :scratch:

Can you literally just walk into dumps and pinch stuff? I never see and skips around!

(if anyone wants to share good salvage spots in the guildford area with me I'd be grateful!)
I look for skips where houses are doing renovation work aas these often have "stuff" in them such as wood for the fire, bricks etc for hardcore. The legal point of skipping is that the "rubbish" is owned by the householder then when it is put in the skip it belongs to the skip owner so the trick is to ask the builder or householder if you can take anything before it goes in the skip. A minor legal point of which many don't bother with but it's best to know.

I was in our local council tip earlier this week and they have a massive skip full of wood so I asked the forman what happens to it. "Oh it just gets shredded " he said. I asked if I could have some and he said i could have it all if I wanted as he has to pay to get it shredded.... Where's that trailer at........ ( I need to fit the wood burner first ) .
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger