101 uses for a pair of old tights/stockings

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

When my cat was small she loved playing with them.

At least that's what I told visitors who asked why there were black stockings littered round my house...

Nah, it was the truth. Honest.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

I read this one in one of those nasty cheap magazines full of stories about people who make my life seem fantastic and normal!! lol
Anyway it seemed quite sensible
If you or someone else has a broken arm and the cast is made of fibre glass, if you slip a stocking over it with the toes cut out and the ends tucked in, it stops the rough bits catching on clothes and stuff! I guess the same would apply to leg casts too.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cut them up and use them as long hair bands to cover your whole head and keep ALL your hair away from your face (looks better on a girl I'd imagine)

Use them to strain old paint thus removing the lumps and skin that forms over the top. stetch the toe end tightly over the top of a jar and slowly power the paint in.

Ann

Tay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cut the legs into circular bands, then cut across the bands to make long strips. These are useful for tying up delicate plants etc as the nylon doesn't harm them as string does.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Ozmoe
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rubber band or tape one leg of them to the output hose of your washing machine to use as a lint filter when collecting grey water.
Vegetables? Pffffft. That's what food eats.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

put hoover tool thingy (The long tubey one) into one leg. Then use this to hoover behind units and things where little bits like earrings collect. That way, you suck them up, but not into the body of the hoover.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Fill several with newspaper and tie together to make a guy at guy fawkes. It's easier than it sounds.

blathanna
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Stuff them with rags or old newspapers and make a draught excluder.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

We've lost the numbers somewhere - oh well, never mind!

If you have a skin complaint then porridge oats in your bath water really help to take the itching away and sooth the skin. The trouble is that oats down the plug hole are not a good idea. So put a couple of tablespoons in the toe of an old sock or stocking and tie it up, then just pop it under the tap.

If you are washing curtains with plastic curtain hooks, take the hooks out and pop them into the toe of an old sock or stocking and tie up (erm sounds familiar). Then pop them in the washing machine with the curtains and they come out all sparkly clean.

Zoe

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

old stockings/nylons

For long stockings: put a small pumpkin in the toe, make a knot to tie it in, put another pumpkin on top, another knot. Etc. Then you can store your Hokkaido's and Uchi's hanging, which eliminates rotting onthe spots where they touch each other or the shelves.

This was a tip from a fellow allotmenteer. She said the pumpkins kept forever. Haven't tried it, but it sounds very practical.

Jandra

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

fill with rock salt and lavendar flowers. use as per thomzo's directions as a muscle soak.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

For anyone who does home recording:
get a wire coat hangar and bend it into a square (or a circle if you're feeling really adventurous) and stretch 1 or both of the legs over it, makes a better pop-shield for your vocalist/speaker than most real studio ones!

Worked well for re-recording all the script from a clip of Toy Story!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomzo wrote: If you have a skin complaint then porridge oats in your bath water really help to take the itching away and sooth the skin. The trouble is that oats down the plug hole are not a good idea. So put a couple of tablespoons in the toe of an old sock or stocking and tie it up, then just pop it under the tap.

Zoe
When you've had your soak, use the oats in tights as a gentle exfoliant to enhance the moisturising qualities.

Use tights instead of muslin bags or heat seal bags for bath teas.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cut the legs off at the knee, put tennis balls into the feet and tie as close to the balls as you can. Homemade practice poi! Can also be done with juggling balls/small bean bags for a less painful practice session.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

use to cover fruit ripening on trees so the damn birds dont get it!
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength