101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

baldybloke wrote:How about the following:

An effective slug defense system.
Interesting article in this month's edition of The Garden. It went something like this:

"It's illegal, but if you were to try spraying dilute coffee on the ground around your plants you would find that it deters slugs. But it's illegal."

So, of course, we won't try doing that then will we!

Zoe

Thomzo

demi wrote:A button on the TV which sets off an alarm on the remote controle so you can find it when its lost.

A button on a key ring, which you can hang up on your key hook, which sets off an alarm on your keys.
:lol: Definitely and can I add a device that sets off an alarm on your trowel so you can find it in the garden?

demi wrote:
Soler pannel roof tiles, so your whole roof would be a soler pannel, providing energy for your whole house.
Tata are reportedly developing a solar paint. If they succeed then your whole house could, literally, generate electricity.

Solar tiles do already exist. Try this: http://www.solarcentury.co.uk/homes/abo ... nd-slates/. I guess they must be more expensive than panels.

Zoe

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomzo wrote:

Interesting article in this month's edition of The Garden. It went something like this:

"It's illegal, but if you were to try spraying dilute coffee on the ground around your plants you would find that it deters slugs. But it's illegal."

Zoe

What, what, what??? Illegal? Got a link for that, Zoe?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

boboff

I thought Illegal was a poorly bird of prey.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo wrote:

Zoe
O.K. I'll bite. Why is this illegal?
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Thomzo

Mustardseedmama - you are, fortunately, not governed by the EU. Here, anything used in the garden as a pesticide or fertiliser has to be 'approved'. You can still put coffee grounds on the compost heap, thank goodness.

Zoe

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thomzo wrote:Mustardseedmama - you are, fortunately, not governed by the EU. Here, anything used in the garden as a pesticide or fertiliser has to be 'approved'. You can still put coffee grounds on the compost heap, thank goodness.

Zoe
Thank you for explaining that. I do think our "democratic government" is working very hard to try to catch us up to the "rest of the world" in over-regulation and ridicules restrictions/statutes though. :banghead:
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

cant see why it would be illegal......., amybe isnt " approved" but that really refers to anytghing thats to be made for sale!

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

as far as items Id want invented

remote control ( preferrably with as mentioned above an anti-loss alarm) to turn the volume down or up ( rare) on the kids!) and preferrably also with an option to be ableable to teleport them a long way away!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

niknik wrote:cant see why it would be illegal......., amybe isnt " approved" but that really refers to anytghing thats to be made for sale!
I think you are right, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :iconbiggrin:
I understood that individual people can more or less do what they like as long as they don't use poisons or pollute. I think it's more a case that EU companies can't sell products containing banned substances and professional gardeners can't recommend using them.
It's the same (or at least, used to be) with the dreaded Health & Safety. If you're employed you must wear all the protective gear but if you're self employed or an individual you can use your own initiative as to what's necessary.
But I'm probably wrong ... see disclaimer below.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

gregorach

Odsox wrote:
niknik wrote:cant see why it would be illegal......., amybe isnt " approved" but that really refers to anytghing thats to be made for sale!
I think you are right, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :iconbiggrin:
I understood that individual people can more or less do what they like as long as they don't use poisons or pollute. I think it's more a case that EU companies can't sell products containing banned substances and professional gardeners can't recommend using them.
It's the same (or at least, used to be) with the dreaded Health & Safety. If you're employed you must wear all the protective gear but if you're self employed or an individual you can use your own initiative as to what's necessary.
But I'm probably wrong ... see disclaimer below.
That's my understanding... But people do love to imagine that they're bravely standing up for freedom and sticking it to The Man when the truth is that nobody's interested in what they're doing, and it's all perfectly legal even if they were. "Ooh, look at me, I'd a rough, tough, rebel outlaw - I'm putting my toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round!" :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

gregorach wrote:I'm putting my toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round!" :iconbiggrin:
You mean there's a right way? :shock: :scratch: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

gregorach

Green Aura wrote:
gregorach wrote:I'm putting my toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round!" :iconbiggrin:
You mean there's a right way? :shock: :scratch: :lol:
Quite.
Cheers

Dunc

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

niknik wrote:as far as items Id want invented

remote control ( preferrably with as mentioned above an anti-loss alarm) to turn the volume down or up ( rare) on the kids!) and preferrably also with an option to be ableable to teleport them a long way away!

Yep I will second that.

And also a timer device that switches off hot water in shower after 5 minutes. We dont run out of hot water with a combi boiler so now I try to remember to time teens and switch heater of, when I can !
Sarah :flower:

SparkiFlaim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.636878
longitude: -1.139759

I wouldn't mind having something to teleport spiders to safe location away from my house (or just away from the house mate) saves me trying to catch the fast little things, without taking a leg off, I don't mean to they just move at the last minuet, and i always feel bad putting them out in the cold anyway