101 uses for dehumidifier water

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

101 uses for dehumidifier water

So...i have a dehumidifier that is taking in about a litre of water a day.

What can i use this water for? It seems stupid to throw it down the sink. I do water my plants, but with that much water they'd drown!

I have in my mind somewhere something that says that dehumidifier water is purified/distilled. Is this right?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: 101 uses for dehumidifier water

Don't use it to water your plants fee!

I managed to kill my 20 year-old weeping fig :( and was told (by someone else who'd done a similar thing) it was down to the water - I was doing the same as you. Don't know what's in it - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about these things will enlighten us :roll: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I don't know if it would be just down to the water. I expect water from the dehumidifier would be distilled, which is a very pure form of H2O. The evaporation and distillation process removes ions and desolved minerals. Pouring water onto earth should start picking up the dissolved components again but I could see that a constant diet of distilled water might dilute the nutrients plants depend on.

It should be great for anything where limescale would be a problem though - for example, topping up water in the car or for a steam iron.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

My plants get fed all kinds of water, if there's anything left in a bottle, they get it, when the man comes to deliver my new water, i empty the old one out fully. They get mineral water!!

Ok, so distilled water is also used in cosmetics because all the 'stuff' is taken out. Do you think this water would be ok for that? I fancy making some face masks and moisturiser.

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I was going to say that I use the water from our dehumidifier to kill weeds on the path!

It works too. Discovered this use after OH watered a hanging basket with the water and killed it stone dead.