101 ishy type holidays?

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

101 ishy type holidays?

Hello :wave:
Not quite sure this is the right place to post this but ... have long thought about doing a volunteer holiday maybe with the RSPB or similar and wondered if anyone had any experiences of this or any other smashing holiday ideas?

I will start us off with ...

1. Wild camping on Mull.
Waking up at the side of a loch in the mist surrounded by lovely manx shearwater. Glorious beaches. Golden eagles sat on gateposts, stags wading through the lochs, sunbathing seals and endless fun watching 'dolphins' and 'whales' that turn out to be rocks. Sigh :sunny:

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 101 ishy type holidays?

2 - camping in the back garden with the little one because hes never done it before and itsexciting forhim and i cant leave my garden for more than 2 days !!! ( no one to water the plants )

not quite a holiday but lots of fun

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

3. Sailing to ... where ever you want to go ........ Gentle breeze, glorious sunshine, no other boats around, only the sound of the sea lapping against the hull, being gently rocked to sleep at night, heaven!
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

sleepyowl

Visiting my sister in Bristol

My Granddad in Bournemouth

My friends in Torquay

My old school teacher in the Lizard
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

pelmetman

A campervan, a fortnight or longer and a weather forcast :salute:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

pelmetman

Oop's, just had your previous post pointed out to me by her indoors :pale:
I hope you don't let your bad experience taint your view of campervans. they are the ideal vechicle for a random holiday, perhapes not so much in this country, unless you head for the out of the way places.
But after over 20 years with one I would not be without it, and you don't need to spend a fortune on a 4 wheel flash gin palace to enjoy the life style, just be carefull on what you buy often a big coach built will be better value than a trendy VW. But make sure you have it checked out by someone in the know before you buy :study:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cycling and camping holiday. Am planning one from Bristol to Cornwall for later in the summer!

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

pelmetman wrote::pale:
No worries mate! It's not the campervan that was the problem so much as the campervan man!

Gem, I like cycling and I like camping but I have never cycle-camped. This is quite exciting!

Jill

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

JillStephens7 wrote:Waking up at the side of a loch
-like this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/26726673@N ... 032484271/

We've not had a holiday since we came here (sorry I've posted it many times but it never gets old :love5: )
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ok GA, book us in! What's for tea? :lol:

xx

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Loving the view Maggie Durness is stunning.....thinking of coming back on holiday there next year with friends...do you know of any large holiday lets in the area (8 of us altogether) we stayed at Craigmoor in the village before but the actually living space downstairs is a bit small for 4 adults and 4 kids running around.

Mel

Millymollymandy

Birdwatching around Europe. Yes I know we use the car but a campervan is a vehicle too. And we don't do camping, we are way too old with far too dodgy backs for that sort of thing. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Err, we're slightly over-stretched at the mo, Jill, otherwise............ :lol: :lol:

I'm not very well up on holiday lets in the area Mel, but a quick google raised this http://www.norsehaven.com/view/craigmor-cottage.aspx - not sure where it is though - I must go round with my eyes shut, at least when it comes to houses :lol: Or there are a couple of holiday lets just down from us in Balnakeil Craft Village - you could have one each - much less stressful!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

8. (I think) BTCV workcamps - in a previous life, I spent a year as a voluntary field officer with Scottish Conservation Projects Trust (sadly no longer but now part of BTCV) and I got to see loads of remote parts of Scotland treeplanting, ditch damming, path building, sand dune restoration work, lime mortaring etc etc - I had a ball and met loads of fabulous like minded people. :sunny:

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cycle-camping is a really stripped down holiday. Luxuries like clothes get left behind. Everything you take you carry so you want the followin as a bog standard load.

- Bike bags - Calculate the weight/amount you can physically carry with bike bags. I always cycle with a camel back on my back and dont like to be lugging things in rucksacs as it makes for much less fun.
- Camel bak - Essential hydration - I have a 1 1/2 ltr bag and I find that fine for half day - day depending on how hot it is.
- Get ready for this one - 1 change of clothes + hand washing tablets/powder. Any more is too much! You can buy light weight, warm clothes that pack very small for crazy prices. I don't bother with this, I just strap the clothes onto my seat for a bit of extra padding..
- Sleeping bag - The smaller the better.
- A bit of cash for food (only carry snack stuff) and card for potentiallly needing a b&b if the weather turns on you.

Doesn't matter if its 2, 5 or ten days - this lot will see you through as long as you pre-plan your route, book campsites where you can and be willing to be flexible around punctures and various other setbacks. Very fulfilling and enjoyable holiday! (Though maybe take an extra pair of pants/socks for a 10 day trip :wink: )