101 uses for toilet roll insert

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

circlecross wrote:sorry to be a stick in the mud, but nursery regulations forbid the use of toilet rolls for craft. Kitchen rolls are fine. You can use them with your own precious darlings, but not other people's unfortunately (I get through more TP than KR, so they'll have to be plant pots instead!)

Susan
Yeah I was gonna say that - bloody silly if you ask me. Ho hum.

18. Use them as the 'beams' on a mobile. Thread string through them and then hang more rolls and eventually little cardboard shapes from cereal packets, apinted and glitterized.

I made a huge one. it was ace. :mrgreen:

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

I raised the point about the toilet rolls at my son's primary school and they said they can use them but they have to microwave them for 15 seconds to zap any germs. :?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

circlecross

can't wait to see dh's face when he sees we're having toilet rolls for supper!
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My kids put them on their wrists and use as lazer zappers. The arty ones draw on buttons as well.

:flower: Davina

Shirley

use them to help organise your plugs and wires etc... i've got a box full of wires that ends up as spaghetti... fold the wires, stuff into the toilet roll tube and write on what the wire is for.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

bazil
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

fill with shredded paper mache newspaper to make fire logs(have to compress it well)

when i was little i used to make smoke boms with weed kiler suger and news paper(in wet solution) stuffed into toilet tubes(as paper mache ...then dried)...i dont any more but at the time they were awesom.....right out of the A team book of stuf and things

Chickpea

You want to watch it posting bomb-making instructions on the internet. Jack Bauer and the CTU will come and close down selfsufficientish.com and throw Andy and Dave into Guantanamo Bay and then where will we all be?

Han&Matt
Tom Good
Tom Good

I transplanted our leek seedlings into lengths of cardboard tubing (actually cut up tubing from inside black polythene roll, maybe a bit more robust than toilet rolls). Drop in seedling (after trimming roots and tops) and water to top (you have to push the roll into the earth a bit for sturdiness). The water blanches the leeks and earth settles the roots as water dies down.

Worked a treat, I have recently removed the tubes as the seedlings are maturing. Spent tubes went into compost.

bazil
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Chickpea wrote:You want to watch it posting bomb-making instructions on the internet. Jack Bauer and the CTU will come and close down selfsufficientish.com and throw Andy and Dave into Guantanamo Bay and then where will we all be?

sorry but i think CRW are currently dealing with real stuff + i was ten years old when i was playing with that stuff and its not really a omb more of a firework

and if dave and andy were in guantanamo....i would organise a small team of scotsmen.......and would make sure they would be eating kippers by the morning(or howeverlong it takes to cross the swamp!!)

busydaffodil
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

you line it with sand paper, and when your man is naughty............opps, wrong website! :wink:

For the record, I saw this on a Documentary....honest!

PaulDavidSumner
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

23. Put straight into your daleks without shredding or crushing first as suggested earlier, to create air pockets, give structure to the heap, and help prevent it becoming too compacted.

UKBB

24. My Dad used to fill them with Plaster of Paris and allow to set. Once set he would peel away the cardboard and give the slug to his art class students to sculpt.

UKBB

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Going back to using them as plant pots, I tried it but they all sprouted mushrooms. Is it normal to have mushrooms sprouting from your toilet rolls?

Zoe

blathanna
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I use them every year to start off my peas and sweet peas. I put them in a seed tray so the soil does'nt fall out of the bottom.
I used them for my leeks last year but they were in the rolls for so ling they went mouldy. My peas and sweet peas are only in them for a few weeks. They are well suitable because the seet peas and peas have long roots.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Blathanna
I planted beans, radishes and lettuce into loo rolls for the first time this year and grew a bumper crop of......

Mushrooms :roll:

Cheers
Zoe