breadmaker recommendations

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Claripup
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: breadmaker recommendations

Uller wrote:I used to have a breadmaker years ago, but didn't particularly like the bread or the hole in the bottom. So I gave it away and started buying bread again.

Now I've bought a book called 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day'. You mix water, yeast, salt and plain flour in a big bowl, with a wooden spoon. Leave the dough to rise for about 2 hours - then stick it in the fridge. When you want a loaf, pull off a chunk of dough, shape into a ball, rise for 20 minutes, stick it in the oven. The dough lasts for about a week in the fridge and you never need to knead it. As there are only 2 of us, I regularly make a small loaf to have hot, fresh bread with our lunch or dinner. The bread it makes is like the sort of 'rustic' ciabatta-type bread that you might get at an Italian deli - crusty, slightly chewy crust and a holey sort of dough. The longer you leave the dough in the fridge, the more sourdough-like it becomes. I absolutely love it and haven't bought bread since I started doing this. I also make a tin loaf occasionally, slice it and freeze it for toast etc. Unfrozen, it doesn't last well, but as it so quick to make, I just make sure I am only making as much as we want to eat for dinner and maybe toast the next morning.
Sounds like a great idea... Would you mind sharing the quantities required, is it a basic dough mix? (yes I am too cheap to buy the book) :geek:

eccles
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

can only wish I had a Rayburn or Aga but I don't use my oven very much as its electric fan assisted. I prefer to make things in the pot on the gas hob. And I eat a lot of stuff raw, given that I'm vegan. The breadmaker is great for us, especially as we like to know exactly what is in our bread and we're not always home all day to prepare bread for the oven.

I use my breadmaker on economy 7 and i love waking up to warm fresh bread, i rarely use my electric fan oven as there is only me and him. i use my microwave which is a grill oven and microwave, the microwave is alot smaller than my oven so less space to heat, plus i use the stacker trays, lots of food can be cooked on combination cooking, oven and micro at the same time e.g. whole chicken in 30 mins or so.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Another vote for the Panasonic - not bought bread in about 3 years and although I can make it by hand I can't do that for fresh bread as I wake up in the morning. I have the one with the seed dispenser but have only used that a couple of times as you can just lob them in at the start if you want. Don't really go for fancy breads but it does a mean wholemeal and is infinitely better than a cheapo one my friend has (and no longer uses!)