What to do with cucumbers!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks, the relish is now sitting in the jars.....I will ask M3 ,in the recipe section how long to leave it , all the ingredients are ready for the pickle...that's tomorrow's job.... and then I think I will try the jam.
Last year I had a glut of marrows and made marrow and ginger jam and that was lovely as was the rhubarb and ginger so I don't see why cucumber jam shouldn't be good

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Brilliant, thanks Jo! I'm going to try the jam as I just don't know what to do with all the cucumbers.

Diver, you sound as busy as me - I've got 2.25kg of cherry toms in the fridge waiting to do something with and all my peaches are dropping off the tree so I've several kilos of those too. Help!

Millymollymandy

Made the cucumber jam and I put some ground ginger in. Not sure if I am going to like it or not.... and I did double quantities! Got rid of 9 cucs though. Xmas presents spring to mind!

Now I need to ask you experts some jam making questions but I'll put it in a new topic.

ina

Millymollymandy wrote:and all my peaches are dropping off the tree so I've several kilos of those too. Help!
Dried peaches are lovely... Wish I had your problem!

Ina

Millymollymandy

Ina, they are really tiny, because of the drought. I've got loads of peach trees but all but one have funny black specks on the skins. This particular peach tree was planted right beside my lake but as the water has receded so much I have been watering this poor little tree every day for the last 3 months. I have formed a bond with it and I will not let it die! It has rewarded me with about 4kg of tiny little blemishless white peaches.

I think I ought to go and hug it! :shock: :flower:

ina

Do that, and give it a kiss from me, too... :oops: I know how you feel.

But maybe you can peel the ones with black specks and use them for jam? Lots of work, though.

Ina

Millymollymandy

I've already made two batches of spicy peach chutney and I think that's enough! I may part cook some and put in the freezer though. You can peel peaches easily if you put boiling water on them like you do with tomatoes, but if the skin is still green from ripening indoors it's harder. And little ones take so long...... :(

Still have 19 cucumbers but that's it (thankfully) as the plants are all brown now.

Jo
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

The timesonline had a recipe for cucumber soup. It sounds good but I think I'll wait until the sun is out next summer before trying it.

Jo

Yoghurt and cucumber soup

YOGHURT is one of the oldest foods in the world, and on a warm summer day also one of the most cooling, as the people of Turkey, Bulgaria, Greece, the Middle East and India have known for centuries.

Despite being so light, yoghurt has real food value, so you still feel that you have eaten something without being weighed down by it. If you dislike the tartness of yoghurt, however, then turn the page now. I have grown to love its sour, fresh, clean taste and rich, creamy texture.

Yoghurt makes a great dip, delicious sauce, and is an excellent meat-tenderiser, most famously in India’s tandoori chicken. It’s a brilliant relish for grilled meats when beaten with tahini (sesame seed paste) and spices, and an equally brilliant relish for grilled meats or curries when spiced with toasted cumin seeds and nigella. I often choose yoghurt over cream as an antidote to sweet, honeyed desserts, too â€â€

Millymollymandy

That sounds like the Tzatziki I made!!! That's the problem with not being able to get real Greek yoghurt but only a pathetic Nestle substitute!

Millymollymandy

Well I tried my cucumber and ginger jam at long last and it was quite nice. Very sticky on the fingers as it didn't set too well but no worse than runny honey.

My two different spicy peach chutneys are really fantastic, so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself! :geek: