Potato wedges

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Potato wedges

Last night I discovered (rather belatedly) how easy potato wedges are to make. I put fresh rosemary in with mine, which was pleasant but not a strong flavour.

Does anyone have a favourite way of seasoning potato wedges they would like to recommend?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pretty nice how Dave makes them, take a look at

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/salsa.htm
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

We have potato wedges quite alot as the kids think they are chips! We don't eat chips often, it's a treat from the fish and chippie a few times a year!

I cut potatoes in to wedges (about 1lb and a half), put them in a bowl with a tablespoon of olive oil and then add a mixture of herbs. Infact, anything I can find in the spice cupboard. (basil, thyme, marjarom etc)Then swirl it all around to coat them lightly and put in the oven for about 45 mins.

Just a crushed garlic clove will tart them up a bit!

Yummy.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

another easy way to cook them is to cut them into half centimeter 'crisp' like pieces. Then lay them flat on a baking tray corevign with oil and some ground pepper. Cook on 200c for about 15-20 mins untill crispy but not fully crispy (burnt).
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

shiney

That sounds like a good idea too, I just love pepper. Pity the kids aren't that keen!

I shall have to make a batch especially for me and the OM. I am going to have a look at the 'RESEEP' section link you posted. I am a foodaholic!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Me too :cheers:

Unfortunately these days the weight goes on easier than it comes off :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: potato wedges

Thanks for the ideas, guys, I will try them all out on hubby! We've cut ready meals and fast food (anyone seen Super Size me? :pale: ) out of our diet so I'm now looking for easy and quick things I can make for dinner when we're tired and hungry and there's been no foward planning.

shiney

Hi Fluffy,

Supersize Me was scarey, but it reflects the way a lot of people eat today.

I must admit, we go to 'Mc You know where' or BK, about twice a year, which I don't beat myself up about. The coffee is good there, but little else! The kids don't eat those sort of things week or even every month, so it really is a 'treat' for them. Fast food does nothing for me, except disappoint me in just how vile it is.

If you are a carnivor or reformed meat eater, (I was a veggie for 25 years, it was bacon that 'did it' for me) then homemade organic beefburgers cannot be beaten. My family loves them and they don't take long to put together either.

If you want the recipe ~ shout!

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Beefburgers

Hi Shiney,

Yes I would like the recipe! Hubby likes beefburgers. I remember my dad making them when I was a kid and I have tried it a couple of times myself but mine are always disappointing - they either fall apart or are a bit tasteless. Definitely not worth the effort of making them, so if you've got a good recipe I would appreciate it. 8)

Thanks

shiney

OK here goes. You'll have to put up with my rather vague amounts for stuff as I am not a measurement cook!

1lb minced beef (organic if you can get hold of it)
1 Onion minced up in the food processor or just chop it as small as you can.
1 Garllic clove chopped finely
1 slice of bread chopped finely or whizzed up in the food processor

(I whizz up all my crusts and leftover slices that are a little dry and freeze them for toppings and burger making)

1 egg beaten
Two tablespoons of red pesto
Pepper and a little salt.

Mix the whole lot up in a nice big bowl with your hands if you like (I do)and then make about 6-8 patties,press them between your hands firmly but gently and make them nice an thick. about an inch or so.

Pre-heat the grill on medium and grill one side until they are nice and brown, then carefully turn them over with a pallet knife and cook the other side. Cook them slowly so that they cook right through.

I serve them in a homemade bread roll with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and a good dollop of tom sauce, pickle or mayo. YUMMY!

Let me know how you get on. 8)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Fluffymuppet,

Do you have a freezer? could you cook extra when you are in the mood/have time and freeze it for those "I couldn't give a bugger" nights?

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

shiney

Oh god Nev, I have a few days a week like that. :lol:

Perhaps I need a bigger freezer. Mine is pathetically small cos I freeze virtually nothing. It's good in one way, because I cook fresh food each day, but come the harvesting season, I may have to use it to store all the fruits of my labours!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair enough Shiney,

It's Friday night here in Aus and Friday night is traditionally Junk Food Night :cheers: .

Sad but true!

Nev

shiney

Some of the best Junk Food I ever ate in OZ was at SIZZLER! You know that chain?

Enjoy your junk tonight then and don't forget a stubbie. (if you partake)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Shiney,

Most of them went broke, there are only one or two privatley owned ones left. I haven't been inside one for ages!

The only stubbies I partake of are Bundaberg brewed ginger beer!

But nice thought anyway :mrgreen:

Nev