Paneer tikka masala

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Paneer tikka masala

Seeing as I've given a recipe for paneer I might as well say what I did with it.
First you need to make some tandoori spice (if you don't have a pretty mixed tub)
The blend I made was 1tsp each of
Ground ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, turmeric, cayenne and salt
Just mixed together.
The actual curry recipe is
2 onions finely chopped, 4 cloves of garlic minced, knob of ginger grated, 1 tsp cumin, 4 tsp tandoori blend, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander, 2 tsp fenugreek, 2 tsp sugar, 360ml milk, Tomato puree to taste, 250g paneer (pretty much the recipe I posted)
Fry the onion, garlic, ginger and cumin until near cooked, add rest of dry ingredients and fry for 3 mins more. Add milk and tom puree, simmer for 10 mins. Add paneer, simmer for 5 mins.
I've actually doubled the recipe (minus paneer) as I found the original a bit dry for what I wanted. Obviously not the hottest curry in the world as it is, but it was very nice, and the paneer just sucked up the flavours of all the spices, while still adding it's own something to the dish

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re: Paneer tikka masala

I was wondering what paneer actually was, I had never heard of it before. The little Greek lady (all 4.5 feet of her) from the fish shop I go to sometimes makes something similar for her Greek salad. Hers has an un-pronouncable Greek name and the curdling agent is a mix of white and cider vinegar. Because I go there late at night when it is not busy we often chat about food and particularly herbs (she loves that I take off my muddy and cowy boots before I come into the shop) - she gave me some Oregano recently that a relative sends over from Greece. It is wild harvested and incredibly flavoured, makes our local stuff taste insipid.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Paneer tikka masala

The recipe I used for my paneer actually said you could use vinegar or live yogurt but I had a lemon to hand when I made mine.