Bramble Jelly

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
thethriftysquirrels
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Bramble Jelly

I have spent the last couple of days making Bramble Jelly!

Had more blackberries in my big chest freezer than I realised so, as I desperately needed the room I though it was the best course of action! Once defrosted I had 7 lbs of fruit but no lemons in the house to help with the set ( I was told there was not so much pectin in late picked blackberries) but I ploughed on anyway!! Took the best part of an hour of boiling to get it to set but it did - thankfully ...and it tastes divine :iconbiggrin:
It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, 'I don't know.' W. Somerset Maugham

My blog: http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk please take a look and enter the competition!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Bramble Jelly

I love bramble jelly, almost as much as my favourite damson. I think I like the versatility of these as well as their fabulous taste. You can use them in savoury dishes as well as desserts or on toast.

Maybe you can with jams like strawberry and raspberry too, but I can't imagine them somehow. :dontknow: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

thethriftysquirrels

Re: Bramble Jelly

It's a great stand-by to have in the larder! I will be making a nice Bakewell tart type of thing soon with some of the bramble jelly :D
It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, 'I don't know.' W. Somerset Maugham

My blog: http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk please take a look and enter the competition!