Caramelised onion chutney with dates recipe needed please

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Caramelised onion chutney with dates recipe needed please

Hi all,would anyway have a good recipe for the above?A friend of mine has asked me,and I've looked through my books but can't find a recipe for it.Thanks in advance x(I guess chutney could be a "pickle"?Not sure what the diff is tbh :dontknow: )

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Caramelised onion chutney with dates recipe needed pleas

I made some a couple of years ago, and followed this recipe very roughly. I didn't bother with the chillis or bay leaf, I put a spoonful of mustard seeds in instead. As long as you get the ratio of sugar and vinegar right-ish then you can experiment with what actually goes in. Even just onions with nothing else is lovely.

I've no idea what the difference is between pickle and chutney is either :mrgreen:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I consulted Pam Corbin (River Cottage preserving book) and I think the confusion between a pickle and a chutney is Branston's fault, because what they call pickle, according to her, is more like a traditional chutney (which is in itself a British interpretation of an Indian condiment) whereas a traditional pickle is just veg preserved in vinegar, with seasoning and maybe a bit of sugar.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought the difference was that no one shouts at you when you're in a chutney.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)