Any good recipes for broad/fava beans??

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any good recipes for broad/fava beans??

Apart from liver and chianti, what nice recipes do you have for broad beans, I just made Moroccan fava beans with spices and olive oil, I am really in love with this now, but now I want more lovely, preferably spicy ways with the broad bean.

Thanks Lyn

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Any good recipes for broad/fava beans??

This is a tried and tested Yotam Ottolenghi recipe. I make big batches of these every spring to pop in the freezer.

Spiced broad bean and spinach burgers (makes 12, so increase as per the amount of beans)

½ tsp each whole cumin, coriander and fennel seeds

25g spinach (beetroot leaves, or chard work well too)

4 tbsp olive oil

350g potatoes, peeled and diced

350g shelled broad beans

½ mild chilli, de-seeded and chopped

2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

½ tsp turmeric

3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

40g dried breadcrumbs

1 free-range egg

Put the seeds in a pan, dry-roast until they release their aromas, then grind. Wilt the spinach in a tablespoon of olive oil, chop and set aside. Boil the potatoes in salted water for five minutes, then add the beans and simmer for eight minutes more. Drain, transfer to a bowl and add the ground spices, chilli, garlic, turmeric, two tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, then mash roughly. Add the spinach, coriander, breadcrumbs and egg, and stir. Fry a tiny bit of the mix in oil, taste and adjust the seasoning. Shape into fat patties (wet your hands first), coat in flour and chill for half an hour before frying.

The majority of our fava beans get dried and I've lots of recipes if you are interested.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

How about falafel. Sorry I don't have a recipe but lots on the net if you look.
JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Contandina, that is really good of you. Looks like my kind of thing. I have just put some in the freezer but have more coming up, I don't know why, but I never considered making anything from broad beans before and now there is a whole culinary world out there to be explored, I have the dehydrator, do you think I should dry some?

Thanks also Juzamum, I will have a look ont net.

contadina

Dried fava beans are brilliant and as Juzamum suggests can be used to make an Egyptian-style falafel.

Down here in Italy's heel, re-hydrated and skinned fava beans are cooked with a little bit of potato and pureed. Add lots of olive oil and salt and serve with either peperonata or bitter greens. I wrote a recipe for pureed fava beans way back when (in my blogging days), and I seriously recommend it as it's lush http://contadina.growveg.info/2012/02/0 ... er-burden/ another classic way to enjoy dried fava beans is as a bar snack. Beans are soaked, boiled, and either roasted in the oven or shallow fried. Beans are then covered in the spice of your choice, with as much or as little heat as you want. Keeps them in a glass jar, for whenever you fancy a nibble.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

We enjoy broad beans boiled with new potatoes and onions in a tomato and puree sauce. Lovely with a nice chunk of crusty bread.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am looking at my broad beans in a whole new light, thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to the garden crop now

doofaloofa

I love steamed broad beans in butter, though they must be young and tender

Simple yet effective
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Are fava beans just broad beans then? Well you learn something new every day. Personally I like mine simply steamed as a veggies but had a very nice mushroom risotto with a load of them in the other day and the River Cottage beans on toast recipe too.

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

made broad beans & chick peas falafels yesterday... not a fan...
I wish I'd checked on here first! quite fancy trying your burger recipe, Contadina. Thanks for posting it.

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You can dry them on the plant, freeze overnight (de bug!) store and use them all year round. We use them in stews, puree which we add to burgers etc