Last man standing

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Last man standing

When we got here 9 months ago,the garden was a fine lawn enhanced with several mature decorative shrubs and a variety of interesting well grown herbaceous subjects.

Contrary to the 1977 Geneva Conventions,(Article 54,Protocol 1) banning Scorched Earth policies,I've changed all that..

One of the few plants to escape was a single mature currant which now stands in an area of soft fruit surrounded by a dozen others, mostly black (and a couple of red), all clearly much younger,but doing their best to catch up,as you'd expect. To my horror I now discover that the 'survivor' is a whitecurrant. Large bundles of transluscent pearl - like spheres cause it's branches to arch as they grown under the weight.

Basically,what the hell d''ya do with them ? Shall I just rip the bloody thing out and have done with it?

Yes,I'm enquiring after some recipes. (please, nothing too effete)......Ta.

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: Last man standing

Whitecurrant wine?

boboff

Get a permanent marker and colour them in to make blackcurrants?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

If all else fails, alcohol is always the way forward :drunken:

500g whitecurrants, add the zest of 1 lemon, 500g caster sugar, 15g fresh grated ginger and 1 bottle of cheap whiskey. Put it all in a sterilized Kilner jar and shake. Put it in a cupboard and shake it daily for two weeks. Strain through muslin into bottles and put away until Christmas

The Riff-Raff Element

White currant jelly. One of the finest preserves there is. I wish I could grow white currant, but the heat here kills them - I've tried more than once.

doofaloofa

Racists!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln