Agar fruit jellies

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Agar fruit jellies

I'd like to make some fruit jellies, like cubes of sweets rather than pudding jelly, using apple juice and agaragar. What would the ratio of juice to setting agent be, and would it differ if I used other fruit juices?

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Agar fruit jellies

BLACKCURRANT JELLY
never done fruit fruits like sweets with agar agar but recipe below will give you fruit jelly's like sweets that dose not use gelatine
sorry very large recipe but one I use in work all the time, this recipe works with fruits with higher pectin levels , apples, currants, plum ect
would need to add more pectin for fruits like pears and strawberries
if using agar agar different fruit would not make a difference

FRUIT JELLY
2 LITRES FRUIT PUREE
50gms CITUS ACID
2KG SUGAR
100gms PECTIN

1. BOIL PUREE WITH ACID 5 MINS
2. MIX SUGAR WITH PECTIN
3. ADD TO FRUIT PURREE
4. BOIL UNTIL SETTING POINT
5. POUR INTO TRAY SET
6. CUT INTO SHAPES ROLL IN SUGAR
Darn that Wabbit

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Agar fruit jellies

I've never used agar for making sweets, but I have used it for making growth media for microbiology... It's pretty potent stuff. I normally use it at 2% (2g of agar to 100ml water), but I'm not sure how toothsome that would be - I've never tried eating any of the media I make. It's fairly firm, but perhaps not firm enough for eating. Maybe try 5% initially?
Cheers

Dunc