Is Sugar Toxic?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Is Sugar Toxic?

Durgan wrote: The amount of sugar consumed is often hidden from the individual.
http://www.wholevegan.com/refined_sugar_history.html

Refined Sugar Consumption Trends in Past 300 Years:
In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
In 2009, more than 50 percent Americans consume 1/2 pound of sugar per day, which is 180 pounds of sugar per year.

In 1890, obesity rate in US for white males, age group 50's only, were 3.4%. In 1975, the obesity rate in US of all population was 15%. In 2009, 32% of Americans are obese.

In 1893, there were fewer than 3 diabetes per 100,000 people in US. Today, there are 8,000 diabetes per 100,000 people in US.
So it's the level of consumption that's the problem.. not the substance itself? If [er capita carrot/potato/blueberry consumption increased by 45-fold form 1700 levels we'd see different health implications, but I'm sure there'd be implications.

The answer will never be to scaremonger with banners declaring, "Sugar is toxic!". People won't believe you, people like sugar.

Very nice collection of statistics, but no causative link and a bit of a shotgun approach to listing them (it's not a well written article/website that you've linked to). You could also link in consumption of fat and total caloriific intake and declining calorific expense.

No matter how bad sugar may be, I'm still not drining the potato juice.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Yes, thats what i meant. Biologically our bodies convert glucose into energy. Without it we would cease to function. Duh! :lol:

I Don't think many people on here will be eating loads of sugary junk food, seeing as we all grow our own veg! :flower:

But, I buy cane sugar and use it for home baking and tea/coffee, along with honey. We don't drink that much tea/coffee, less than 1 cup a day and only use 1 spoon of sugar/honey in a cup.
I don't by junk food, no ready meals, sugary drinks, sweets, crisps, biscuits ect ect. Ok, i buy the odd packet of biscuits but less than once a month, usually just when we have visitors. I cook all our meals from fresh ingredients, most of them produced ourselves. Occasionally we indulge and eat out, but very rarely. And i give the kids plain milk, water and occasionally 100% natural fruit juce to drink.
The main reason i don't buy sweet things is that i have no self control and it doesn't stay in the house for long witout me eating it :oops: People buy chocolate for the kids which i take off them and usually eat most of myself :lol:

Anyway, my point is we don't completely eliminate refined sugars from our diets but i am careful to feed us on good food. We are not overweight, my kids are tall and skinny actually, taking after my husband. We are all healthy and hope to stay that way. And i will continue to use sugar in moderation as a diet without any sugar will be very boring indeed. I am not poisoning my kids with apple crumble!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

They ate cake
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/