4 Ingredient recipes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

4 Ingredient recipes

I kind of like the minimalism of this idea. Not to mention, the cost effectiveness! Would just love to hear your recipes that make the most of flavour, and can be grown in your locality.

Here's one to start us all off: Napolitana Sauce.

1. Olive oil. (Bought in)
2. Onions. (From the allotment)
3. Garlic. (From the allotment)
4. Tomatoes. (tinned if you don't grow your own)

Optional extras: Worcester Sauce, Basil, Oregano, Chillies.

Method. Fry the onions and garlic in the oil. When starting to brown, add the tomatoes. Simmer 'til ready. Season with fresh ground black pepper.

Serve with: baked potatoes, pasta, rice, cous cous, or pearl barley.

Cheers, 2RM

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: 4 Ingredient recipes

Sorry, not necessarily what you're looking for but one of my favourite anytime meals -
Bread
Butter
Cheese
Onion - ordinary, spring, pickled, your choice

Heaven!

Pasta with oil and garlic
Olive oil
Garlic - chopped
Chillies - chopped
Pasta

Heat all ingredients gently (don't burn the garlic)in a small pan while cooking pasta of choice. Mix thoroughly and season to taste. End of month, or when we're too busy/knackered to cook standby.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Pasatta

Tomatoes
Garlic
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil

Put a few glugs of oilve oil into a big heavy bottomed pan. Chopp the garlic ( i use loads because i love garilc ) and add to the pan and gently fry for a minuet. Add loads of basil and fry gently, it will all wilt down. Then add your chopped tomatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 30 minuets. Then pass it through a sieve to get rid of all the seads, skins and the herbs.
Make a large batch when you've got a glut of tomatoes, jar it up into clean, screw top jars and boil the jar in a big pot of water for 30 minuets to steralize them. Keep them somwhere cool for over use over the winter.
Use the pasatta as a tomatoe base for many different meals, as a pasta sauce, or in bloody mary's :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Breakfast Tostadas;

Eggs
Corn Tortillas
Cheese
Salsa

Heat oven (or toaster oven) to 350. Place corn tortillas directly on rack. Turn every few minutes so they will stay flat-ish.

While those crisp-up and brown slightly, fry eggs. I usually have one, but if it's going to be a long laborious morning I'll eat two. When the white is well set, break the yolk and mush it around a little, so you will get a little yolk in each bite. Flip the egg and turn the heat off until your tortillas are crisp as you like them.

Plate a tortilla, place an egg on top, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top with salsa, and if that's not strong enough, shake hot sauce all over it.

Optional additions would be fried onions, peppers, green onion tops, etc...
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

becks77

Sponge cake
Eggs
sugar
flour
butter(Marge)
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Dhal:

Onions
Lentils
Coconut milk
Hot Curry Powder

Method: Dry fry the curry powder, briefly. Add onions and a little sunflower oil. When browning nicely, add lentils (green or orange or both), coconut milk and water. Simmer until the lentils are cooked, adding more water as necessary.

Serve with rice, baked potatoes, chappatis, naans, etc.

Ideal store cupboard recipe for when there is month at the end of the money!

Best wishes, 2RM.

oldjerry

These all sound good(but I 'm surprsed how many of you cook Toms wthout a teaspoon of sugar)any how here's my fave quick supper:

Decent lingiune or egg spaghetti (lIDL) in boiling water..meanwhile 100grms (plus) Dolcelatte heat VERY gently incoporate3 tablespoons of cream,stir till incoporated and nice and hot (don't boil),add to pasta .Serve with Ciabatta.

Sorry this keyboard is U/S

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

This one might be classed as a bit of a cheat if you count all the separate ingredients of the curd but here goes...

Lemon cheesecake icecream

Digestive biscuits
Double cream
Lemon curd (preferably home made) to taste

Mix the cream and the lemon curd. If you have an icecream maker, set it up, switch it on and pour the cream mixture in. If you haven't then pop in a freezer proof container. Crumble in a couple of biscuits and freeze. If you aren't using an icecream maker then you'll need to beat it a couple of times to stop ice crystals forming.

Zoe

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Egg
Bacon rashers
Mushrooms
Toast

Chuck the first three in a frying pan and when cooked serve on a plate with the egg on the toast
Goes well with coffee.

Variation; substitute sausages for the bacon.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thomzo wrote:This one might be classed as a bit of a cheat if you count all the separate ingredients of the curd but here goes...
No, you're allowed to do that. So long as it has a recognised name, and can be made out of four ingredients, anything counts as one ingredient.

Thanks, 2RM

becks77

Thomzo wrote:This one might be classed as a bit of a cheat if you count all the separate ingredients of the curd but here goes...

Lemon cheesecake icecream

Digestive biscuits
Double cream
Lemon curd (preferably home made) to taste

Mix the cream and the lemon curd. If you have an icecream maker, set it up, switch it on and pour the cream mixture in. If you haven't then pop in a freezer proof container. Crumble in a couple of biscuits and freeze. If you aren't using an icecream maker then you'll need to beat it a couple of times to stop ice crystals forming.

Zoe
I've obviously been on FB too long as I was looking for the "like" button on Zoe's recipe!!!! :roll:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

bonniethomas06

Stirfry Sauce:

garlic, chilli, soy sauce, grated ginger.

(OK, you would have to add the vegetables and noodles etc as well, but the ingredients refer to the sauce.

Would also benefit from some sesame oil and honey if you are feeling decadent.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Poochy Pie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

One of my all time favourites:

Bread
Marmite
Beans
Grated Cheese

Toast bread, spread marmite, top with hot beans and the grated cheese and watch as the cheese melts into the beans - heaven!

boboff

Diet Pate

Chicken Livers
Onion
Garlic..... Fry & Cool
Quark 0% Fat Cream Cheese.

Blitz, add vinegar, or Citrus Juice to taste, salt, Pepper, chilli flakes what ever you like, chill for a couple of hours, and on low Fat crackers it tastes pretty good.

I have made similar with Smoked Mackeral and Horseraddish, Smoked Mackeral and Fennel tips, and then Smoked Salmon and Cucumber, which have all been really nice too, I can't tell the difference from one made with loads of butter, I also did the Chicken liver one with reconstituted Shitake Mushrooms, and also roasted whole Cashews, both were delicious.

Next favorite
Raspberries
Strawberries
Pineapple
Apple

Fresh Fruit Salad to die for. On top of porridde, with Youghurt and a spinkle of Museli, on it's own, however, whenever wherever....

Son really likes it, and so I asked him if he wanted to take some to school.... "Ehhh, no, people might think I am wierd eating fruit salad!" What is the world coming to!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

patR
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

bacon & bean soup.
mix of dried beans - soaked. I use white beans, black eyed beans, and generally lentil.
chopped onions
garlic
Chopped home cured bacon.
(and a chopped carrot) yes I know thats five...

sweat off the garlic, onion, and bacon together , add the chopped carrot and beans... stir cook gently for a few moments so they dont burn, add a stock cube and some water and bring to boil, reduce and simmer till beans are cooked.
I often add a couple of chunks of Chorizo too...
http://www.crazyfeetfootwear.com
for something just a little bit different