whats in your kitchen?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

whats in your kitchen?

im just curious to see what you have in your kitchen at the moment.
go have a look! :iconbiggrin:

ill go first.

in the fridge:

milk, eggs, cheese, butter, greek yogurt, spicy cherizo sausage, 3 jars homemade jarred summer veg, honey, pickled veg.

in the freezer:

homemade baby food, minced pork, whole chicken, rosted red peppers, peas, chopped leaks, a few tubs with different leftover meals for when i cant be bothered cooking.

in the store cuboard:

various dryed beans, lentils, rice, pasta, lasange sheets, couscous, bread flour, plain flour, semolina flour, sugar, tea/coffee, cooking oil, nutella, hot chocolate powder, musli, raisins,bread.

fruit & veg:

lemmons, apples, bananas, oranges, onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, spring onions, cucumber.

now what should i make for dinner? :scratch:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Milims

Re: whats in your kitchen?

Cheesy vegetable rice bake
Oh and I daren't list what's in my kitchen - we'd be here all day!
I resemble this remark!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I wish I could list everything, I am a firm believer in well stocked cupboards, pantrys, fridges and freezers :oops: :lol:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

gregorach

Lots of washing up... :wink:
Cheers

Dunc

gregorach

Thing is, I've got loads of stuff in the kitchen, but not a lot that you could actually make an meal with... I've got an excellent selection of herbs, spices, oils, sauces, condiments, and so forth, but not that much in the way of actual food. I can make a decent selection of cocktails, but you might go hungry. :wink:
Cheers

Dunc

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Beercans. Lots of beercans. For some reason I always seem to buy empty ones. Last edible thing I saw in there was a rat.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We only shop once a month so my storage facilities are fairly vast. In order to keep track of everything I've got pantry and freezer .doc files with everything listed, so it gets crossed off when it's used.

In one fridge I've got all the homemade/cured stuff. Lots of lacto-fermented veg - ginger carrots, kimchi, sauerkraut, pineapple chutney, ketchup and kefir, yoghurt and kombucha and fruit shrubs (drinks not bushes!), raw milk and cheeses, chorizo and bacon, oh and some goose fat from Christmas.

Otherwise pretty much as normal, I suppose.

Nothing much in the way of processed foods that I can think of (although I doubt my mother's Weight Watchers danish bread is made from anything that ever lived :lol: )
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had bought quite a shock of potato's and they had grown legs so two nights ago I peeled and boiled and mashed them all. then portioned into 4 meals worth as well as (pleased with this) made potato cakes- the batter was very easy and now I have loads in the freezer.

I had made "apple and veg" chutney last year and it was a bit bland, so yesterday I puréed it and added a little cider vinegar and a good dollop of a very hot chilli paste. I now have a very thick but very tasty spread.

Apart from that home made al I have is a good few helpings of a really nice spicy parsnip soup.

Oh and NO washing up (Dunc) :icon_smile:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are pretty much the same as GA in that we only shop on a very irregular basis, usually once every 3 weeks or so.
So if you count our larder as part of the kitchen and our three freezers, we have enough food at any given time to feed a small army, not that I'm expecting one.
We have a dozen or so various pots of jam and marmalade, many jars of tomatoes in various forms from ordinary bottled ones for soup, bottled cherry toms for breakfast (on toast), thin purée and thick purée for pizzas, several bottles of gooseberries, several bottles of blackcurrants, several bottles of blackcurrant juice, as well as all the "normal" stuff like chutney, vinegars, sauces, spices, a dozen or so eggs, dried beans, dried fruit.
In the freezers we have quite few chicken, mainly jointed or boned and a now diminishing supply of frozen peas, broad beans, baked beans and sweetcorn, plus probably 10 litres of milk, and frozen bread & pizza bases, plus quite a lot of fish and shell fish.

Nearly forgot, right at the back of the fridge lies the remains of the Christmas brandy butter. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

The usual wine, pickles and jam...I try and keep the freezer 'topped up' should we ever have a few weeks when money is tight. So 1 large turkey, chickens, 1 gammon, stewing steak, fish and various chops/ joints/ chicken pieces. Also butter and a pile of veg. Bones also waiting to be made into stock.

Still eating from our potato and onion store, also a heap of flour and pasta.

We try and have enough so that we can eat well for say 1 month without having to shop.

Usual salad stuff in the frigde, huge jar of pickled onions and a big pan of curry for tea tonight.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

It would be interesting to find out what are peoples favourite things are in the kitchen?

Mine would be the breadmaker.
A cast iron frying pan that is older than me.
A really nifty no drip tea strainer.
A decent set of knives.
Pressure cooker.
A set of Renaware stainless saucepans.

Stuff like that.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

It's not in the kitchen, but I have a freezer full of fruit from last year that I'm still trying to plough through, along with yellow stickered bread from the Co-op and some home-made frozen meals. The fridge has yogurt, milk, lots of jars of half-used jams and chutneys and a shelf full of chocolate that isn't mine (not fair) but belong to a friend who's staying for a while.

Favourite things are a pair of Wiltshire stay-sharp kitchen knives and the dishwasher.

Zoe

gregorach

baldybloke wrote:It would be interesting to find out what are peoples favourite things are in the kitchen?
That would be my 20 cm Global cook's knife. Everything else is just stuff, but that knife's a beauty.
Cheers

Dunc

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yup, my set of Wusthof chef's knives, loads of Le Parfait jars which get used for all sorts of things and, strangely, my jam funnel - no more pouring stuff all over the sides for me :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

I'm laughing thinking I would be here all day too, just listing the different kinds of sugars and flours I have here. Never mind all the different dried pulses and grains. Then everything else. Just getting rid of abut 10 jars of different kinds of chutneys, jams and jellies tomorrow when I go and visit a friend. I've been up and down 2 flights of stairs with loads of jars - no room to store these things in the kitchen, they are in cardboard boxes in the debarras off the 2nd spare bedroom and the rest are in the downstairs bathroom cupboards!

It's crazy to need a big house just to house my jam and chutney collection. :scratch:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/