Winter dinners are here again

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter dinners are here again

A bit late in posting this but my Internet was playing up at the weekend.

Sunday dinner was our first "winter" dinner, roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast parsnip and sprouts.
And very nice it was too, with the parsnip surprisingly tasty despite having green leaves still and I'm pleased with the maincrop potatoes which are just perfect this year for roasties and probably chips as well, nice and fluffy inside that go crispy on the outside.

And for those 20% of you that hate sprouts (poll) this is for you ... :pukeright:
(My old English teacher would have a fit at all those sentences starting with "and") :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Winter dinners are here again

Odsox wrote:(My old English teacher would have a fit at all those sentences starting with "and") :lol:
Oh, heavens yes and putting commas after and or but which I do all the time :lol:

We had roast ling for sunday lunch - one of our neighbours caught it and was found by another neighbour about to chuck it on the grass for the seagulls. She rescued it and brought it to us. (I have to say I'm with the fisherman on this one - I've never had tough fish before but this one was :shock: It wasn't particularly tasty either, not unpleasant just bland. Had I known what it tasted like I'd have seasoned it differently.

Anyway your sunday lunch sounds much nicer than mine, and homegrown which I don't have any of this year. So set another place next sunday, I'll pop round :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sunday before last we had a summer/winter dinner!!!!

Freerange chicken, stuffing, roast potatoes, runner beans and carrots all done on the BBQ. It was quite delicious, we have a charcoal kettle type BBQ, will definitely try this again. Did chicken, stuffing and potatoes in foil trays and vegies wrapped in foil.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

battybird

My two sons live in Thailand and have always hankered after sunday roasts until my youngest made an oil drum BBQ :iconbiggrin: they now do their chicken and veg in it wrapped in foil. The potatoes they get there are nice but really unusual...peppery and floury, and the veg is very different! Yorkshie puds or Apple crumble is still not possible for my sons as most Thai seem to have a burner and wok...no ovens!! BUT (cringe , english teachers!! :lol: ) with the advent of many T***o Lotus...the western veg is being used more...and fewer go to the markets or forage in the hedgerow. They do still sell cold fill washing machines in T***o though, as well as twin tubs, so maybe T***o will have to adapt to the market rather than the other way round :dontknow:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Millymollymandy

We eat roast chicken all year round cos we then have easy dinners for the next 3 nights - cold chook and salad! I was very pleased that our 2nd earlies (the freebies from the garden centre) made absolutely fantastic roast spuds despite only having been out of the ground for a few weeks so will definitely be growing that variety again next year.

I used to get so upset when I was a kid and my grandma wouldn't do roast spuds in summer as she said that new potatoes didn't roast. Now I know full well that is absolute rot. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

We only planted Charlottes this year as they don't seem to be attacked by slugs and they are excellant as new potatoes, and they also Roast and make lovely chips :iconbiggrin: they don't colour much but do crisp up nicely :thumbright:

I think they are even better than Maris Piper, and I have heard they are much favoured by resturants.

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Please stop it, you are making me so hungry!
I haven't yet picked any of my few potatoes, but I will certainly do this week-end...

becks77

And roast new potatoes with everything! yum yum
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

bonniethomas06

*back from the Hebredian Wilderness*

YESS! Winter dinners. Now that it is properly September, I officially will start to eat winter dinners and kiss goodbye to omlettes and salads.

My top 5 best winter dinners are:

1. Kale, chestnut, barley, chorizo and lentil soupy broth thing.
2. Sausage and bean hotpot (with thinly sliced layered pots on top with cheese under the grill)
3. Lentil and ham hock soup with crusty bread
4. Roast, obviously
5. Port and beef stew done in the slow cooker, with various winter veg in it, so that the house smells of it when you get home. Oh, and served with cabbage and mash, naturally.

I adore autumn...wooly tights, cheese, red wine, warm dinners, log fires, brown leaves, walking without getting too hot, buying and planting spring bulbs...BRING IT ON.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

Of topic but I have just turned no 1 compost heap into no 2 and have taken about 2 stones of clean potatoes from it,must have grown from the peelings, I don't grow potatoes in the garden so I add peelings to the heap and I wish I had such a good crop when I planted fed and happed up the spuds in times gone by. :flower:

Millymollymandy

Blimey that's a bit of luck :shock: I didn't know they'd grow from the peelings! Well done! :cheers:

I'm still sowing salad seeds i.e. lettuce, rocket and radishes so I am certainly not ready for autumn yet let alone winter. :angryfire: It's not autumn until about 21st!

Millymollymandy

Had roast chook last night with our Desiree spuds this time and they do make lovely roast ones too. :cheers: Also ate some baby autumn leeks which were delicious, funny how you get soooooo sick of the bloomin' things by March but look forward to them again in the autumn. :lol:

I've just remember we get to try the red onion marmalade with the cold meat tonight - hope it's good!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

bonniethomas06 wrote:I adore autumn...wooly tights, cheese, red wine, warm dinners, log fires, brown leaves, walking without getting too hot, buying and planting spring bulbs...BRING IT ON.
Whoa there Bonnie! We're just getting something like summer up here - we've had 3-4 consecutive days of hot, clear, sunny weather. I'd like to keep it a bit longer please! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

had beef stew today, our first winter dinner.. although i wasn't able to eat it as i've got a sore throat and was struggling to swallow :(
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

SusieGee wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:Had roast chook last night with our Desiree spuds this time and they do make lovely roast ones too. :cheers: Also ate some baby autumn leeks which were delicious, funny how you get soooooo sick of the bloomin' things by March but look forward to them again in the autumn. :lol:

I've just remember we get to try the red onion marmalade with the cold meat tonight - hope it's good!
I should hope it's fabulous after all the trouble you went to stinking out the house! :iconbiggrin:
I'm in two minds about it :? it is nice but rather dry, but I hope that's cos it is just the small half filled jam jar with the scrapings left out of the pan, so when I open the big jars there will be some liquid with it! It looks very much like pickled red cabbage though! Think I might try it in a sarnie with cheese.