Another use for courgettes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

Another use for courgettes

I just made some courgette bread which turned out really well. Thought others might have a surplus :lol: My bread actually used one of those "marrowettes"...the courgette that got away and exploded overnight :shock: My mother in-law ate some this morning and she HATES courgettes so its a great disguise for fussy family too!! ( I told her after she had eaten it! :iconbiggrin: I will post the recipe if anyone is interested, but maybe you are all making it already!! :iconbiggrin:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Another use for courgettes

Great tip, I always have loads of marrowettes lol so will give the bread a go once it's growing season here.

battybird

Ok
I adapted it as I did not have buttermilk used plain yoghurt instead!
7 tbspns buttermilk (yoghurt)
1/2 cup water (4fl oz)
1 1/2 cups grated courgette (generous!!)
4 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
1 cup wholemeal bread flour
5tbspns mixed seeds (I used sunflour, linseed and pumpkin)
2tspn salt
2tspn sugar
2oz butter (or 2 tbsn olive oil)
1 1/2 tspn dried yeast

Makes a large loaf. I made the dough in the breadmaker then hand shaped it and baked in oven. Or do the whole thing in the breadmaker!
Shaped it in a big knot and washed it with egg and linseeds.

prison break fan

Thanks very much, any courgette recipes are very welcome! I always plant too many - just in case! When I haven't time for anything else, I just grate them and freeze them, they are fine for soup that way. pbf.

prison break fan

No SusieGee, never thought about it, just as they are! I think the water is fine just for soup, which we have every day in the winter. Horrible thought! pbf.

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have a very dark secret :oops: I love courgettes..........honest I do and never have a problem using them up...............it's good to be among friends and be able to admit this shameful habit. :flower: The bread sounds great and will give it a try tomorrow to go with the courgette curry.

prison break fan

I bet you feel better for confessing that!!!! pbf.

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I use my surplus in courgette muffins.. actually very tasty

battybird

I have just had a request from my VERY fussy son to make him a loaf as he liked it so much...and he hates courgettes! It is certainly successful..hope yours was too, susie! :lol: I added crispy garlic to mine this time...I love to change recipes too..only trouble is I often forget to note what i did so it cannot be reproduced! :roll:

alisonbau
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 35.5S
longitude: 149.2E

What about Zuchinni ( what we Australians call courgettes) and Ginger Jam.

1.5 kg zuchinni
finely grated peel and juice of 4 lemons
50 to 75 g of fresh root ginger
1.5 kg sugar

Chop the zuchinni into small pieces.
If the zuchinnis are small I don't bother peeling or deseeding them.
If they are larger than say 20 cm I usually do.
The ginger can be chopped finely or grated. I have done both.

Place the sugar, ginger, lemon juice and grated rind into a large bowl.

Steam the chopped zucs gently until tender. Tip into the bowl containing the
other ingredients while still hot. Stir to mix, cover and leave for 24 hours.

Place into a saucepan and gently heat till sugar is disovled. This may not take
long as a lot of the sugar will have already disloved overnight.

Bring to the boil and boil briskly until the zuc pieces are transparent and syrup is thick.
Test for setting. Then place in jars in whatever manner you usually use.

Note: Zucs have almost no pectin and so the jam will never really set unless extra pectin
is added. I use 1 pkt of Jamsetta (this is an Australian product) not sure if it is available
anywhere else), otherwise just use any commercial pectin and follow the instructions as
to how much to use and when. I add the Jamsetta after the zuc is transparent and thick.

Hvae fun
Alison

battybird

Susiegee...I reread my post and realised I said loaf not loaves!!! :oops:
I divide the dough into two to make knots!! I should think the loaf was HUGE!! Hope the next batch is even more successful :iconbiggrin:
The last batch I made, I managed to use 2 big cups of grated marrowette and the bread was still good. I wonder how much more it would tolerate :wink: I just found six marrowettes and 2 courgettes and that without any rain!

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

I'm def going to have a go at a courgette loaf. I love courgettes although the other half is a bit fed up of them at the moment! I only just discovered how nice they are raw if grated into a salad using a potato peeler.
My granny used to grate them them put them in the microwave for a couple of mins with a knob of butter - lovely with a roast dinner. Any left over bits make good bubble and squeak.
I also like them fried in olive oil with garlic and lemon zest and served with pasta and parmesan.

Keaniebean

Corgette bread sounds lovely, I grew 4 yellow corgette plants this year but have only managed two corgettes off them so far. The rest seem to be rotting at the flower end before they are anywhere near a good size :( .

I made a lovely omelette with the ones we did have though, fried the corgettes with a little oil and some garlic and then topped them with the omelette mixture, before grilling some cheese on top. The kids loved it too and they can be fussy with vegetables. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

sheridand
Tom Good
Tom Good

I made this for Sunday dinner yesterday.
Courgette gratin
Slice enough courgettes on a mandolin to fill your dish. Fry up one chopped onion with garlic and some tarragon in butter till softened. Remove to dish. Fry up courgettes till softened bu still have some texture. Remove. Then fry some long grain rice (about 50g) in butter till transluscent and slightly softened. Mix the whole lot together in the dish. Then beat 3 eggs and a handful of parmesan or any cheese, gryere is nice too, and add enough milk to cover the courgettes. Bake for about 30-40 mins in low oven, about gas 4. Eat it all up!

I also layer courgettes, onions , peppers, aubergines and tomatos with garlic and parsley, cover with stock and top with feta and tinned tomatoes. Cover tightly, bake at low heat for 1.5 hours, yummy, and even nicer cold!

battybird

OK, I give in, I will cook make courgette gratin! I had "hit a wall" and had stopped being inventive with them...I have given 6 away this morning and still have loads left! We have been eating them in one way or another once a day but I like the sound of rice and cheese!I think OH will enjoy it too. I already do omlette, raw, pakora, courgette and no aubergine mousaka...ish, garlic sauteed etc!! Someone should write an online book on 101 things to do with courgettes/ marrowettes...Any takers??? I am sure anyone with one or more plants would find it usefull!! :iconbiggrin: