Bread pudding - with wholemeal bread

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
hippy chick
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Bread pudding - with wholemeal bread

I'm going to make bread pudding tonight from my stale crust ends (not bread and butter pudding... the nice brown pudding). I'm going to use my grandma's recipe, but she always uses white bread. Has anyone used wholemeal bread in this recipe, and does it taste as yummy? Maybe I should just give it a go and let you know how it fairs... a great recipe for not wasting bread!
:bom:
Trying desperately to be an eco-warrior!!

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Bread pudding - with wholemeal bread

I've found that recipes for refined flour, never quite work, with wholemeal.

Can you do a tiny batch and see what needs altering?

Some of my wholemeal expermiments, esp. those substituting the whole meal part exactly for the refined flour part, are not flavorful enough. Sweets are not sweet enough, savory things too bland, and they often come out dry. Perhaps they need more liquid and fat, too.

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have both made bread pud with wholemeal bread and a mix of both white and wholemeal.
Unfortunately I cannot give you an recipe as I just made a custard (classic) and used apples, cinnamon and raisins mixed with the bread and poured the custard over, baked till done........
My daughter and me liked it a lot.........

Might be that the wholemeal needs some more liquid but then, it depends on the bread.
If it is very dry, I would add a little more liquid and leave to soak for half an hour before putting in the oven.
Maybe you might like it a tad sweeter too?

Berti

hippy chick

Right ishers, I made the bread pudding using stale ends of wholemeal bread and it is an absolute SUCCESS! Woo hoo.

I took into account your comments on it perheps needing more water and sweetness, so I soaked it for longer in more water and added a little more sugar and mixed fruit... god it's gorgeous! Even OH thought it was nice, and he doesn't like bread pudding. Rather smug! :mrgreen:
Trying desperately to be an eco-warrior!!

kira09

Some of my wholemeal expermiments, esp. those substituting the accomplished meal allotment absolutely for the aesthetic abrade part, are not aged enough. Sweets are not candied enough, agreeable things too bland, and they generally appear out dry. Perhaps they charge added aqueous and fat, too.

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

SusieGee wrote:Can I have some of what you're having Kira you've got me stumped there!
it appears to me that Kira09's post is translated via babelfish or similar (?)

I translate it into me-speak as :-
"sometimes when 'I' change all the manufactured white flour for a 'healthy option' the flavour overcomes the taste of the fruits and spices, and often need more fluid and/or fat."

personally I add a teaspoon of treacle or molasses to brown/wholemeal bread pudding, use raisins instead of sultanas, and extra spice :wink:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

John Headstrong

well yes, kira09 is a spambot, it seems to have paraphrased (and maybe parsed through a babelfish and back like snapdragon suggested) a earlier post in the thread by LBR.
LBR wrote: Some of my wholemeal expermiments, esp. those substituting the whole meal part exactly for the refined flour part, are not flavorful enough. Sweets are not sweet enough, savory things too bland, and they often come out dry. Perhaps they need more liquid and fat, too.
kira09 wrote:Some of my wholemeal expermiments, esp. those substituting the accomplished meal allotment absolutely for the aesthetic abrade part, are not aged enough. Sweets are not candied enough, agreeable things too bland, and they generally appear out dry. Perhaps they charge added aqueous and fat, too.

I have installed a new anti bot system that is linked to many forum communities and is getting better at finding spambots