Cleaning cookie cutters?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cleaning cookie cutters?

I have various metal cookie catters but theyy don't get used much and have gone quite tarnished/rusty... any thoughts on how to clean them?

I had a notion to try the silver cleaning thing that you use a tin foil lined bowl, but I can't remember what to do :?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning cookie cutters?

If it's light rust ... rub with veg. oil to coat, then rub with steel wool.
If it's heavier rust ... make some very strong tea (equivalent of two tea bags per cup) and soak the cutters in the tea for a day. Then rub with steel wool.
If it's really heavy rust ... chuck out the cutters and buy new ones.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it would be classed a light rust... but really, cleaning with steel wool would take hours. I have several tiny little ones only a few cm big and with lots of detail (I am thinking specifically of feet shaped ones) and they weren't cheap so they are not going in the bin.

I am thinking now of an old toothbrush and cream cleaner - I'd have to buy some, and it wouldn't be eco-friendly as Ecover cream cleaner sucks :?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

doesn't a raw potato clean the rust off a knife? Perhaps try cutting some potato slices with them.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

9ball
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan wrote: I had a notion to try the silver cleaning thing that you use a tin foil lined bowl, but I can't remember what to do :?
Line the bowl with aluminium foil and fill with very hot water, then add either 1 tbsp of salt and 1 tbsp of baking soda, or 2 tbsp of cream of tartar and immerse the silverware for half an hour, then dry with a soft cloth. (According to 'Natural Stain Remover')

Not sure whether this would only work with silverware but no harm in giving it a try!
Tom