Selfsufficiancy books to recommend

By popular demand - The book review section.
cheapandcheery
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Selfsufficiancy books to recommend

Please may I recommend two books

The Encyclopedia of Country Living
by Carla Emery

This has been my bible for the last year. It covers any conceivable situation about self-sufficiency. A good read too, very funny and she gives credit to the people that she got the information from..I liked that.
It's an American book.

Backyard Self-Sufficiency
by Jackie French

This is an Australian book. Because it's Australian the seasons are back to front..Wombat would know about that.

Jill
:flower: :flower:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Jill,

Welcome back!

Yep, I LOVE Jackies book! Most of her stuff is pretty good but that one is the best!

Unfortunately I think that there is more to it than just being 6 months out of step. Light levels and intensities, humidity and some other stuff I am not sure of. Having said that, the book is full of ideas for anyone to give a go! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

cheapandcheery
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Jackie French books

Bonjour Nev,

How are you?

Must be getting into spring down your part of the world.

I just remembered a preserving recipe in Jackies book that uses cherries instead of olives. I must dig it out and post it in the recipes site.

I had a go with one jar..just in case..and they were great. I shall do several jars next year.

Jill

:flower: :flower: -

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am well thanks Jill,

Years ago when I was working in the chemical industry, I arrived at work one morning during an unseasonably hot period to find the boss crawling around on the frloor of the Lab looking for something. He said he was looking for a spring, so here we all were on hands and knees looking for this spring. After a few minutes of this he says - "Yeah, it's gone straight from winter to summer" and starts work. :mrgreen:

Well this year has been like that, it is going to be 37 deg today!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour - originally written in the early 70's- I had one of the first edition then, and have recently got the updated version - can't praise it highly enough! :cooldude:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

littlebluefish
Tom Good
Tom Good

Martin wrote:The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour - originally written in the early 70's-
This is the one someone bought for me, that we are working from!

Its fab, and simple enough for even me to grasp stuff.

S

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The encyclopaedia of country living looks good.

*toddles off to Ebay*

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ah, I know Jackie - she is a lovely woman and she'd be absolutely thrilled to see her book promoted here. (Jackie and I share the same publisher although in different genres, and we've worked together at times at workshops.)

Apart from John Seymour's book on self-sufficiency (I am a dreamer, I admit it) I have also very much enjoyed Paul Waddington's "21st Century Smallholder" ISBN 190391969X and 9781903919699

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd like to recommend Allotment Gardening - Susan Berger, after getting it from the library I found it so useful I've bought a copy!

Ireland-or-bust
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour

Hi,

I bought this book on recomendation.

Its O.K, but not really that detailed.
If you want an overview or everything, its ok.
However, for me, i'm now looking to get specific books on the fields i'm most interested in (which is most of them.)

Mark.
--------

Jerseymum
Tom Good
Tom Good

How to Store your Garden Produce - Piers Warren
A useful wee book about preserving, brewing and cooking stuff that you grow, as well as tips on how to store seeds etc.
Reminded me of a lot of stuff that I did with my grandad when I was tiny, and useful even if (like me) you haven't got a garden, but can get hold of organic produce from friends and family.
Sarah
How do you live your life when there's nobody watching?

magnuscanis
Tom Good
Tom Good

Martin wrote:The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour - originally written in the early 70's- I had one of the first edition then, and have recently got the updated version - can't praise it highly enough! :cooldude:
I recently got hold of a copy of this (latest edition I guess, as it was new).

I haven't had much chance to read it yet - I've skimmed it a bit and now got as far as the page on The Allotment (page 28) - but so far I'm pretty impressed with it and I know it has an excellent reputation.

- Magnus

Shirley

Cornelian wrote:Ah, I know Jackie - she is a lovely woman and she'd be absolutely thrilled to see her book promoted here. (Jackie and I share the same publisher although in different genres, and we've worked together at times at workshops.)

Please tell her... :)

What books have you written?
Apart from John Seymour's book on self-sufficiency (I am a dreamer, I admit it) I have also very much enjoyed Paul Waddington's "21st Century Smallholder" ISBN 190391969X and 9781903919699
I like that book too!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

John Seymour has to be the King of SS ... he's at least on his second generation now, my parents were big advocates of his in the '70s
...must reread him...

For me, although perhaps a little commercial and more useful for ideas than practical advice, I like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's books.

As an Orchardist, the writing of Michael Phillips is excellent and always makes me feel guilty for seemingly neglecting my trees.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh I love HFW river cottage cookbook

It is defo. one for beginners though as I don't reckon that there is much in it for people who already do alot of there own 'field to fork'

Also I was able to get it out of my local library (then I got a copy for christmas as I loved it so much)

It inspired me to lead a more sustainable life and It led me to look further into the welfare of the animals whose meat I was eating... which discusted me, so now I try my best to source local, organic meat and veg. :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay