Yellow Pages.

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
mithril
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yellow Pages.

Hi all, I'm really not sure what to do with my old Yellow pages. My local council won't have it in their recycle bins and I'm not really sure what I can do with it. How can I find out what dyes are in it? (Or does someone here know?) Can I shread it for the compost?
Thanks,
mithril.

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Here we can put it out for recycling. The book will arrive on the doorstep I take off the little plastic cover and put it straight out in the box. I only ever use yell.com so we love not to receive either of the directorys.

Davina

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've used my old Thompsons directory for a mushroom kit. Will let you know how it goes.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you send it back to them?

At the supermarket you can apparently give them the packaging that you don't need, so it ought to be the same. It would also send a clear message to Mr Yellow Pages that we have no need of it. :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Shirley

Ask your local primary school if they are taking part in Yellow Woods

It seems that YP are doing the right thing with their recycling. :cheers: :cheers:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shirley

cir3ngirl wrote:Here we can put it out for recycling. The book will arrive on the doorstep I take off the little plastic cover and put it straight out in the box. I only ever use yell.com so we love not to receive either of the directorys.

Davina
Have you contacted Yellow Pages to tell them that you don't want a copy - seems such a waste if this is happening all over the country. They should move with the times I reckon and stop the automatic distribution to every single household.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mithril
Tom Good
Tom Good

Shirlz, thanks for that link, I'll have a word with school tomorrow! They do quite a lot of things to encourage the children to recycle etc so it would seem to be the sort of thing they would at least look into. Good idea about getting in touch with YP too. I can't believe I hadn't thought of it!
mithril.

Millymollymandy

I always use the book Yellow Pages and not the online! That's because my computer is not on all the time, and it is quicker to look in the book. What about when your internet connection isn't working? The book will come in handy then!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I prefer the book - find it easier to navigate!
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Same here. They have special containers at the recycling site for yellow pages and phone books.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

olde9856
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I keep an old copy in the boot of the car, pages are great for wiping your hands after doing dirty jobs.
The ink does not run and they do not cut your skin

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good one Olde9856!

and welcome to the site!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Arimiel
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hmm.. one of my "holy books" (a seymour) mentioned that you could make a paper pallet for burning out of old newspaper by wrapping it tightly around a peice of wood and soaking it in old oil or fat. I think that that should be possible for the Yellow pages to.
But I do not know if it really sould be burned because of the CO² and the sometimes toxivc properties of the ink.

[edit]: grammar and spelling.. i love english... but i had only nine years to learn it
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.
Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959)

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was told that our local recycling facility couldn't handle Yellow Pages and similar directories because of the glue in the spine, so I put it in with the paper recycling a few pages at a time, leaving the spine to be disposed of in the rubbish. That seemed to work well.
I know of one chap who sawed off the spine so he could recycle the pages.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

Shirlz wrote:Ask your local primary school if they are taking part in Yellow Woods

It seems that YP are doing the right thing with their recycling. :cheers: :cheers:
that's exactly what I was going to suggest :lol: my daughters school collects them as do most of our local schools.