Pallets - how to take them apart. x post

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of my projects is to make a handcart out of recycled pallets, but I use the lightweight pine ones and I can get them from work where they will be disposed of anyway.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

yugogypsy

Pallets-how to take them apart

We used the crowbar on some, the hammer on others, and we had some breakage (which got turned into kindling)

We've so far, built a chicken house frame and a fence frame with them, going to finish the fence soon.

We plan to frame the goat house with pallet 2x4's "sistered" together, same as the chicken house and use other parts of the pallets for the floor, the walls and for stall doors inside the goat house.

Lois

mattachinelee
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

We have used whole pallets for building compost heaps at the school I work at. It seems to be difficult to get spare pallets, one of the staff has a contact who is able to supply pallets from time to time. We are planning to build our own planters for a courtyard in the centre of school. I am still struggling to get enough pallets for this, so far we have a couple put to one side. I know from experience that we could get perhaps half the slats off in one piece - dependent on the type of pallet.

Are they really so hard to come by? Is it my lack of contacts in the lorry driving business?? :roll:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dammit. i went past a skip with 2 pallets in it yesterday. Might have to get dad to drive me back to it at the weekend to see if i can 'borrow' them.

They'll fence the veg patch nicely and hopefully stop Finlay walking all over it!

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

mattachinelee wrote: Are they really so hard to come by? Is it my lack of contacts in the lorry driving business?? :roll:
Hi Mattachinelee
The company I work for has quite a few broken pallets that need a home. We're in Swindon so depending on where you are it might be close enough if you can find a van to put them in. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Zoe

mattachinelee

Thomzo,

:hello2:

Thank you once again. Pallets stacked and ready to be worked on this weekend - I'll be trying a variety of these methods to separate the blocks and planks - Will let you know! :wink:
Slightly aside, the Sat Nav I'd borrowed to get to you, strangely took me back on a different route which took the same time, but was quite a few miles shorter, so the fuel cost was improved too! (I estimate about £7 of diesel). :mrgreen: Worth every penny!

Paula

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi Paula
No worries. You are more than welcome to them. :mrgreen:

Is there anyone else in the Swindon (UK) area who'd like some free pallets? It costs us a fortune to get them taken away so you'd be doing us a favour here at work. PM me if you are interested and I'll give you details.

I shall try freecycling them but I thought I'd give you guys first refusal.

Paula, it doesn't surprise me that the sat nav got confused. Swindon is expanding so rapidly that they probably opened a new road in the time that you were here. I really object to all the greenfield development but there doesn't seem to be any stopping it.

Cheers
Zoe

mattachinelee

:shock: :lol: and I thought sat navs were a dinky kind of computer, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) and would logically take you the same route each time! Just goes to show, Spock really doesn't come from Swindon.

:mrgreen: keep those pallets out of the skips!! If anyone else is near enough to make use of them, they are clean wood too.

mattachinelee

oops -got an extra smiley in there should say d.i.n.k.y! :oops:

LandDownUnder
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Pallets - how to take them apart. x post

Use a circular saw and go right across them near the ends, ok you loose a few inches but later on grab yourself a few beers, throw them on the fire pit, chill out and in the morning you will have some straight nails to re-use and not knarled bent ones. Yes i am scrooges nephew lol

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Pallets - how to take them apart. x post

Sorry to bring this to the top, but I've got something to add having read an instructable on using pallet wood - specifically look at the comments where the guy has made a tool for extracting the wood...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... Joint-Box/
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog