Sails

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 0 0 0
longitude: 51 38 28

Sails

...sails, not sales!!
Just got some old enterprise sails from my dad. They are a lovely faded blue, jib (small foresail) and mainsail, from an old sailing dinghy. I'm gonna use them as sun shades for the garden strung from the back wall of the house. I've seen old sail cloth used for (very pricey) anoraks, storage bags ect. Reckon you would need an industrail sewing machine but they would make brilliant grow/ seed/ feed/ storage bags. I reckon they look pretty interesting too, as they have different seams and numbers and patterns.

on a mission to reuse in the garden re-design I'm hoping to do this year.

Sam

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Sails

Yes - from experience in family you need a very hefty industrial sewing machine to handle old sails. It's quite a game making sails - a bit of searching the web will show you!

What happened to the Enterprise though?

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Sorry read this in a hurry and thought it said snails :lol: :lol: :oops: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

Long gone I'm afraid- I've not seen an enterprise dinghy for years. These sails must be at least 30 or probably more years old. My dad was helping clear out his local dinghy club and these had been left behind by god knows who!!

Milims

old tree man wrote:Sorry read this in a hurry and thought it said snails :lol: :lol: :oops: :flower:
You and me both OTM - then I was confused as to how you can recycle a snali! :scratch: :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Flo

sammyh wrote:Long gone I'm afraid- I've not seen an enterprise dinghy for years. These sails must be at least 30 or probably more years old. My dad was helping clear out his local dinghy club and these had been left behind by god knows who!!
Shows you how long my family has been sailing that the Enterprise class was a big one at the first sailing club. :mrgreen:

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

something you could consider is using a jib for a hanging chair, the head of the sail suspended at the top, and the bottom corners being suspended to it to create a bowl effect to lounge in.

sammyh
Tom Good
Tom Good

ooohh that's a nice idea- (the chair)
My parents met sailing enterprise dinghys- but they divorced over 20 years ago!!

re-snails- I met someone recently who said snail poo was really good for compost- not sure how you would collect it!!
you could always get out the garlic butter- reduce and re-use :mrgreen:

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

in thoery with a little triming and some large eyeletyou could make a hanging sofa kind of thing

cut into a rectangle, eyelets at the corners

suspend from a pair of chains, to the eyelets which make the back rest,then another bit of cabling ro chain/decent rope to the front corners but pulled tight. probably need the support chains to be set off at an angle to create tension so it doesnt sag. its an idea.