fallen trees - legalities ?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
scotsmart
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: qwess
longitude: qwwss

fallen trees - legalities ?

Hi there
Can anyone tell me what the legalities are regarding the taking of fallen trees/branches is it legal to say collect wood from fallen trees, or where previous forrestry work has left what they class as rubbish and for that matter driftwood does anyone know if its legal? particularily in Scotland

Likewise any ways to get a free supply of burning materials or kindling would be helpful to start building up a stock of both proir to installing a multi-fuel stove.

Slanj
Just learning please bear with me, we all have to learn somewhere.
Just because we don't agree, doesn't make me wrong, i state things like i see them, based solely on personal life experiences/fact, and not on forum speak or here say.

http://www.volkswagen-transporter.co.uk FREE VW van community

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: fallen trees - legalities ?

Often asking those who have left the fallen trees/branches is a good place to start. If there is reason for leaving they will know where you can go.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

There is no common legal right to collect firewood anywhere in the UK. However on common land there may be "Estover" rights which may be granted by local councils who service the common lands. These are usually granted by licence (which means you'll have to pay for the licence). I've got no idea how much these cost, but if you contact your local council and query estover rights on common land, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Incidentally, you can legally take the "Four F's" from common land : fruit, fungi, flowers and foliage for non commercial use, anywhere you can legally go. http://www.naturenet.net/law/common.html#thef
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Carltonian Man

scotsmart
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: qwess
longitude: qwwss

Cor
Thanks for yet another great answer (not the one i wanted but never mind) :iconbiggrin: makes me wonder then in reference to those regularily seen on the main A830 collecting said fallen tree wood and what risk they are taking apart from the obvious, parking risks :dontknow: just thought it was or would be a great free and usefull way to clean up a bit and help ourselves at the sametime need to get myself a chainsaw and get chatting to a few local landowners as im sure they would be only to happy to have certainly all the smaller stuff removed that if they do not have a chipper end up just being an unsightly mess..

As for driftwood i was led to beleive after the famous ship ran aground a few years back where the locals were helping themselves to its cargo, mostly wood with the Police standing by that anything gleaned from an incoming tide was totally legal to take? need to see if possibly Scottish law is in actual fact differing on any of these matters.

For now

Slanj
Just learning please bear with me, we all have to learn somewhere.
Just because we don't agree, doesn't make me wrong, i state things like i see them, based solely on personal life experiences/fact, and not on forum speak or here say.

http://www.volkswagen-transporter.co.uk FREE VW van community