Cardboard boxes / eBay

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
kate egg
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cardboard boxes / eBay

We kind of recycle for a living selling secondhand and some new old-stock car parts on eBay. It keeps old cars on the road and also stops the parts ending up in landfill.

Nearly every item is posted in a used box i.e cornflake packet, fishfinger packet or boxes and jiffy bags from things we have had in the post. It used to cause a lot of laughs when we first started taking the boxes to the post office but they are used to us now!

Not traditional recycling but I'm sure it helps :iconbiggrin:

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Cardboard boxes / eBay

Great idea, I have just started ebaying and will be looking carefully for packaging ideas, this one is a really good starter.

Thanks
Sarah :flower:

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

From experience, if using recycled boxes, do state that in your listing and that the p+p has been altered accordingly. Most folk will be absolutely fine with it, but I've had one or two complaints before now. Pretty much because some people who buy on there are just waiting for something to complain about, but my first negative feedback was because I'd reused a matchbox to help give a small item some extra padding.

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

If I'm posting something out & it needs covering, or not breakable, I use the thick plastic bags that our dog biscuits come in :lol:

I cut them, turn them inside out so the parcels are now white & stick big sticky labels on them that hubby gets from work. OK, I don't sell on Ebay, but hey, it works for us!!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

kate egg
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

You were unlucky I think with your eBay experience, we have been selling for quite a few years (our feedback is over 4000) and the only time anyone has commented that I can recall is when we sent something out in a chocolate cake box and they jokingly asked why we hadn't sent them any cake :iconbiggrin:

Strong plastic bags are great for any textile items, I keep any we get and turn them inside out. And you should see the lengths I will go to to make an item a large letter rather than a packet to save on postage costs!

Lentil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I get lots of smart looking boxes at the end of the local market.
Cut off box corners make good protectors for book corners, when posting (Cup Soup boxes are good for this).
Friends and family save jiffy bags etc. Bubble wrap from from supermarket fruit boxes.
Indelible ink comes off plastic, with a spot of meths on a small piece of cloth.
On ebay I put a note at the bottom of my listing, saying: Recycled packaging may be used to help save the environment and P & P charges.
Also have a rubber stamp saying: Please re-use this envelope.

*Sorry if a bit off subject with some, but the same theme really.