Grey water

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

Grey water

Hullo

We've recently installed a water butt (a recent burfdee present - cheers Mum and Dad!) which is doing its job nicely. The other day we put the water from the tumble dryer in it. However I read today in the SSish Bible that grey water from a washing machine shouldn't be used for watering veg as it contains chemicals from the washing powder which is harmful to veg/plants. Is this also true of tumble dryer water? Any thoughts?
"All I want is peace, to grow potatoes and to dream" Moomin (Tove Jansson)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grey water

I speak from a position of pure ignorance (as usual) but wouldn't you get water from a condensing tumble drier ?
No idea really as I don't have one, condensing or otherwise.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

It's a condensing one, yes. I know, we are awful planet killing people but using a a clothes dryer wasn't really option in our last place as it was cold, dark and damp (it had an E or F energy efficiency rating) and no garden for a clothes line. Once spring and summer are here we'll use the clothes horse and dryer in the garden.

Anyway, rather than spitting out steam via a tube, it keeps the water from the washing in a drawer. So.. Thoughts?

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Why not use it for watering non edible plants?
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

contadina

Greywater is suitable for irrigating lawns, trees, ornamentals, and food crops. Don't use it to irrigate root crops or soft fruits (aside from chemicals they will taste soapy). We use ours to establish new trees, and for flowers and fodder crops.

Apply greywater directly to the soil, not through a sprinkler or any method that would allow contact with the above-ground portion of the plants. Only use on well-established plants, not seedlings or young plants.

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

Does tumble dryer water count as grey water?

contadina

anarchistinslippers wrote:Does tumble dryer water count as grey water?
I'm not sure to be honest. But put it this way, would you want to drink it? I'd play it safe and not use it on root veg nor soft fruits.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Presumably if it's water from a condensing tumble dryer, it's condensed water that has been evaporated by heat from the clothes. If this is the case (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) then it shouldn't contain any nasties other than the few germs that will collect in the condensing vessel (drawer).

I use a dehumidifier which works in a similar way, and use the water to water my conservatory plants, including the citrus fruit and the chillies.

Personally, I would use it but try to water the plants at the roots, the soil will help to filter out the nasties as well.

Zoe

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomzo wrote:someone please correct me if I'm wrong
You're totally correct Zoe, in fact if it's a condensing dryer then it's exactly the same as a dehumidifier ... in other words it's distilled water and far purer than water from your tap .... in fact absolutely pure until it comes into contact with the real world and the only "nasties" it will contain are those it gets from the inside of your watering can.
So not "grey" water at all.
Tony

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

I think I'm going to take my chances then and use it to water the flowers and veggies. Thanks for all your help guys and dolls.

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:
Thomzo wrote:someone please correct me if I'm wrong
You're totally correct Zoe, in fact if it's a condensing dryer then it's exactly the same as a dehumidifier ... in other words it's distilled water and far purer than water from your tap .... in fact absolutely pure until it comes into contact with the real world and the only "nasties" it will contain are those it gets from the inside of your watering can.
So not "grey" water at all.
How is this, when washing machines don't rinse with much water (compared to washing by hand) so there is likely to still be residues of detergent and (if used) fabric conditioner in the clothes? Um and as the water comes from the tap in the first place how can it be purer than that? :dontknow:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:How is this, when washing machines don't rinse with much water (compared to washing by hand) so there is likely to still be residues of detergent and (if used) fabric conditioner in the clothes? Um and as the water comes from the tap in the first place how can it be purer than that? :dontknow:
Easy, the water is the condensate from steam or water vapour.
When water evaporates or turns to steam it leaves any impurities behind and then condenses as absolutely pure water ... the same water you top up batteries and use in a steam iron. Also it's the same process used in desalination evaporators.
So all the detergent residues and fabric conditioner stay on your clothes, as does all the impurities (chlorine, aluminium, fluorine, fecal coliforms) in your tap water.
Tony

Millymollymandy

I didn't know that! So it does it even though it is not boiling your clothes? Also when it's on the delicate (not very hot) cycle?

Were you a scientist in a previous life Tony? :iconbiggrin:

Another question - could this water then be used in steam irons as it is distilled and less likely to gunk up the iron?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Were you a scientist in a previous life Tony? :iconbiggrin:
Indeed I was, and in France too. :iconbiggrin:
And yes, it can be used in steam irons as I said above, also topping up car batteries, you could even drink it but it would taste of nothing as it's the impurities in tap and bottled water that gives water "taste".
It's not only tumble dryers as any evaporation is the same ... line dried clothes will have all the residues as well, except when it gets rained on and rinsed properly.
Tony

Millymollymandy

Thanks Tony :thumbright: (sorry I missed the bit where you mentioned steam irons before :oops: ).

Now if you have one of those dehumidifier things, not an electric one but those cheapy plastic ones where you put something which is the equivalent of silica gel in the top and the pot underneath fills up slowly with water (sorry I am not very technical with my wording :iconbiggrin: ) - is that plain distilled water too, or not? :scratch: