What can I do with an old set of golf clubs...

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

What can I do with an old set of golf clubs...

...and a set of mouldering snooker balls?

I've had them advertised on our local Freecycle but no one wants them, although we've managed to dispose of everything else we didn't want. I'm quite proud of the fact that we throw almost nothing in the tip, but the junior golf clubs and snooker balls have me beat.

So, can anyone suggest ways of making use of them around a croft?

Stonehead

Boots

Well I don't know what a croft is Stoney... but I figure golf clubs would probably be quite funky (or at very least somewhat eccentric) tomato stakes. At least you wouldn't have to chance poking an eye out when bending down among them.

...Maybe it is too cold to grow tomatoes there? Is there anything else that needs staking?

Here in Queensland they would definately lead to a game of Cane Toad Croquet, but that is another story. :mrgreen:

The billiard balls would maybe make a good fountain feature. I just love the ones where water tumbles out and over those big chrome spheres. Have you seen them? I was quite surprised to find out how easy indoor water fountains and features are to make.

On a more practical level, you could add the balls to your loo to limit the amount of water used in each flush.

It does sound like the perfect kit for a juggler... you sure you don't wanna learn to juggle? :geek:

Stonehead

Boots wrote:Well I don't know what a croft is Stoney...
A smallholding, worked by poor bloody idiot and usually owned by someone else, and barely capable of supporting subsistence agriculture. While we pretend to own ours, the bank actually owns 60% it!
but I figure golf clubs would probably be quite funky (or at very least somewhat eccentric) tomato stakes. At least you wouldn't have to chance poking an eye out when bending down among them.

...Maybe it is too cold to grow tomatoes there? Is there anything else that needs staking?
We grow tomatoes in our sun porch (glass enclosed verandah to the Aussies) as it's too cold to grow them outside. We run baling twine across the ceiling and then hang lengths down and tie the tomato plants to these.
Here in Queensland they would definately lead to a game of Cane Toad Croquet, but that is another story. :mrgreen:
So cricket bats are no longer fashionable, then? Or sporting? :mrgreen:
The billiard balls would maybe make a good fountain feature. I just love the ones where water tumbles out and over those big chrome spheres. Have you seen them? I was quite surprised to find out how easy indoor water fountains and features are to make.
We don't have enough water to spare for garden features. It's almost as bad here as in the west of NSW. :(
On a more practical level, you could add the balls to your loo to limit the amount of water used in each flush.
Brilliant - that will do the job nicely as we currently use half a crumbly brick. Many thanks for that. :cheers:

Stonehead

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe a local school might make use of the clubs?

the balls could be put in a sock and used a weight, perhaps to keep a corner of mypex down?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I suppose you could shove them handle first into the earth and cover your fruit or veg over with netting or plastic.Would the heads of the clubs stop them from poking holes in the cover?.

Stonehead

Andy Hamilton wrote:Maybe a local school might make use of the clubs?

the balls could be put in a sock...
Hmm, I think corporal punishment is schools is outlawed, but I suppose the ball in a sock might leave no visible bruising... :mrgreen:

Stonehead

Stonehead

albert onglebod wrote:I suppose you could shove them handle first into the earth and cover your fruit or veg over with netting or plastic.Would the heads of the clubs stop them from poking holes in the cover?.
I might try this, but I think I'll make a hole and put the heads in the ground. The bigger heads would be top heavy otherwise.

I did try giving the clubs to my boys, but that was a very bad idea. First, they discovered golf balls are very hard and therefore hurt your brother when thrown at him. Second, they decided golf clubs were well suited to whacking walls, toys, tyres and, finally, each other.

I think we'll forget the idea of them playing a nice quiet game of golf and let them stick to rugby! :mrgreen:

Stonehead

Millymollymandy

It's just amazing that no-one wants a set of golf clubs! They are not cheap to buy. :shock: But then again, maybe the golfing fraternity are not the type to join the Freecycle group?

Stonehead

Millymollymandy wrote:It's just amazing that no-one wants a set of golf clubs! They are not cheap to buy. :shock: But then again, maybe the golfing fraternity are not the type to join the Freecycle group?
They're a complete John Letters set and when I googled this morning I was amazed by how much they cost. I'm putting them around the cabbages today when I take off the frost protection and replace it with pigeon netting. They're going to be the most expensive netting posts I've had! :lol:

Stonehead

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

My suggestions Stoney are to give 'em to the Sallys or pawn the bloodt things!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Boots wrote:Well I don't know what a croft is Stoney...
The official definition of "croft" is: A small piece of land, surrounded by rules and regulations.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

*stuffed*
Tom Good
Tom Good

Do you have any poultry that you want to encourage to go broody or stop eating eggs you could use the balls in nests as fake eggs.
I have to say I'd have stuck the clubs on ebay, if nobody wanted them for free I wouldn't be surprised if someone would pay you a few quid for them.

The Chili Monster

Battering annoying city types
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Stonehead

The Chili Monster wrote:Battering annoying city types
:cheers:

Stonehead