Lettuce Bin Seedstarter

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Mandyz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Lettuce Bin Seedstarter

I know that Presidents Choice sells outside of North America, but I'm not sure if they have all the same products.

We buy their organic baby leaf lettuce - and it's delicious. (No garden here yet, but we do have a baby leaf lettuce patch planned)
I discovered that the clear plastic bins are the perfect size for inserting 3 rows of cardboard egg containers (or is that 1.5) with seeds. (Thumbnails)
The tomatoe seeds seem to have liked this set up too as they came up quickly.

We don't have much yard space, so I have to create my own mini greenhouses indoors.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done Mandy!

nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I like that bit of invention, Mandyz. Simple, but perfect.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

wulf

A lot of plastic packaging can be redeemed from instant landfill fodder by using like this. I haven't tried with egg boxes inside but started off most of my seeds on kitchen towel in plastic trays last year.

Wulf

ina

I'm actually running short of this type of plastic punnet! Will have to ask my colleagues to keep them for me... They already collect loo rolls, jam jars, corks for me - I feel like the communal recycling bin myself!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

I grow my cress in those types of clear pots - lower sided though.

glenniedragon

I've started loads off in those type of containers, I like the ones fresh cakes come in from the supermarket bakery- isn't it funny how even half way across the globe great minds think alike!

I came across a good idea in my Urban gardener book-about putting a shelf across a window, and this shef had circular cut outs that pots with a lage-ish lip fitted in and then the plant pots fitted in those so they were watertight, excellent Idea that I shall be doing in my kitchen window (that looks out onto our scruffy old shed) maybe worth doing for you too Mandyz as it would effectivley double your windowledge capabilities..

Kind thoughts

Deb

Shirley

ooh I do like that idea Deb.

I think I might do that too - we were trying to work out some space for plants in our kitchen but the windowsill isn't too deep and not out of reach ofdog/cat/toddler etc.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Mandyz
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks, that is a good idea. I've thought about how I can vertical. So far I have things on a long table infront of the window (which has moved onto my coffee table as well) and under it. All the sunny spots are effectively taken by plants - much to the cats' distaste - because the dog takes the remaining floor sun.

I will eventually hang some pots. Can't do a shelf here because the window is actually my sliding door to the back deck. Although... perhaps I could outfit something on the bedroom window above...

I just spent the entire day on my deck reading. It was lovely and warm. I could even take my thin fleece off in the middle of the day. I hope tomorrow is the same! I'd like as many of these as possible before we get another cold snap.

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wow MandyZ we must be psychic, I've also used an egg box inside one of these plastic trays - i did it this weekend & have only just read your post. I had just one egg box after a friend did my shopping (the place I buy eggs takes the boxes back to reuse them) & was looking for something to put it in.

I'm doing my kitchen now & am planning on some glass shelves across the window, which looks across the yard into my next-door neighbour's kitchen. Even without the neighbours house I wouldn't get much in the way of sunlight here, it's north facing. So it gets constant light, without the harshness of direct sunlight. Think it'll work for seedlings -can anyone advise to the contrary?