Has anyone gone for one of these Free Photovoltaic installs

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
jammie*dodger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Has anyone gone for one of these Free Photovoltaic installs

Can't make my mind up whether to apply for it or not. Looks like a win-win situation but I can't believe there is no downside. My roof is just about perfect so it's just a case of deciding.

Cheers, Rob.

John Headstrong

Re: Has anyone gone for one of these Free Photovoltaic insta

I haven't got one myself,but an organization I help run is currently looking into it.

while it does appear to be a win-win you have to see the whole picture.

eaga (or another supplier) fits the solar on your roof and you get free electric that is generated from it, eaga and their business partners, Barclays bank, get the feed in tariff. So while you get some free electric they get the profit.

we are also looking into paying for the solar panels and getting the FITs ourselves.

(we have been advised not to give away our FITs away lightly by another community development trust)

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

I am going to apply for this.
Agreed with a community project with the grants available you should get them for nothing, but much lower FIT' rate, although it all helps.
My feeling is if it saves you £1000 a year now, in 20 years time that is going to be £10,000 or more, energy prices relative to inflation is only going one way.
Rob
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

jammie*dodger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the replies. I keep thinking what have I got to lose so I may just get them to come and check out the roof - I can always say no if I don't like their T&Cs

BTW : John Headstrong is your avatar Gabe from Penny Arcade?

John Headstrong

jammie*dodger wrote: BTW : John Headstrong is your avatar Gabe from Penny Arcade?

well spotted !
it is art imitating life

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Something for free , yeah .
Wake up .

jammie*dodger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Explain? Don't just make comments without justifying them or you'll never be taken seriously.

dave45

I'm guessing that is something do with with this POV :
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2010/03 ... n-rip-off/

Renewable
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Free PV not such a good idea according to Which report :-

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/09/fre ... al-231808/

Apparently its far better to get a fixed price loan and get the 8-10% returns yourself. Also if you sell up you can sell on your FIT contract and not be trying to sell a home with somebody elses kit on it !

Big Al

There is another set of posts on this topic on this site because I've contributed to it. I believe that it is not free in that you get a free solar panel as it costs you nothing up front but you only get "free Electric" when they say so, i.e. certain hours of the day so if you are out working all day then you get no free electric"

EDF are going to pilot a scheme where you get a loan repaid out of the fits and the loan is interest free over 5 years or low cost about 5.8% i think over 10 years but you get the FITS after the loan is paid back.

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 10&t=20304
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

dave45

What are the chances of the Autumn Spending Review knocking the whole thing on the head in a couple of weeks?

Big Al

dave45 wrote:What are the chances of the Autumn Spending Review knocking the whole thing on the head in a couple of weeks?
probably not a lot as the government is tied into legally set limits on Co2 reductions et al plus it is the big companies that are making the up front capital investment as they also are tied into financial penalties if they don't produce a %age of the electic by renewable means.

If small generators are exporting to the grid then the supplier of the electric that you sell to goes to their quota of renewables.

It's a lot easier to lend me say £10K for an install which I pay back over 10 years and they get the credits rather than them go through the hoo ha of building a wind turbine for example.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger