solar panels - beware

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

solar panels - beware

ho hum - i got a couple of new 12 w solar panels the other day - and as i always do checked them for output in the kitchen under the fluorescent ( what i call my "standard " source ) - one was obviously damaged and gave no output at all - the other was fine

- the point of this is that these things NEED to be checked as soon as you get them - as they DO vary, and certainly the ones i can get hold of locally from a large retailer and are "made in china " DO vary widely in their outputs - OK so a volt or so may not matter except in the most demanding applications ,BUT when we are talking several volts :angryfire:

so if you do purchase solar panels - check them as soon as you get them home - KEEP the packing and if they DONT come up to or near enough spec - TAKE EM BACK

this is especially important if you intend to run them tied together to increase amperage etc

so next time i go to this particular outlet - i will have my multimeter in my pocket :wink: - after all they ain't cheap - and it may save me taking them back - OK the shop may not like it but trading standard rules state that all goods must be "fit for purpose " - eg WORK as advertised - and you DONT have to accept sub standard gear

better to find out at the get go - rather than when you have fixed them and THEN test them - as most shops demand return in an "unused condition "

i guess even the mighty chinese manufacturing industry suffers from "Friday afternoons " too ??

another thing to check is how they are preforming after 2 weeks or so outside - surprising how badly some products are weather proofed :wink:

any hoo just a word to the wise here :thumbright:
the validity of ones ideas are best measured by the resistance they attract

and if enough people tell you are WRONG - do it ANYWAY !!

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: solar panels - beware

brett53 wrote:ho hum - i got a couple of new 12 w solar panels the other day - and as i always do checked them for output in the kitchen under the fluorescent ( what i call my "standard " source ) - one was obviously damaged and gave no output at all - the other was fine

- the point of this is that these things NEED to be checked as soon as you get them - as they DO vary, and certainly the ones i can get hold of locally from a large retailer and are "made in china " DO vary widely in their outputs - OK so a volt or so may not matter except in the most demanding applications ,BUT when we are talking several volts :angryfire:

so if you do purchase solar panels - check them as soon as you get them home - KEEP the packing and if they DONT come up to or near enough spec - TAKE EM BACK

this is especially important if you intend to run them tied together to increase amperage etc

so next time i go to this particular outlet - i will have my multimeter in my pocket :wink: - after all they ain't cheap - and it may save me taking them back - OK the shop may not like it but trading standard rules state that all goods must be "fit for purpose " - eg WORK as advertised - and you DONT have to accept sub standard gear

better to find out at the get go - rather than when you have fixed them and THEN test them - as most shops demand return in an "unused condition "

i guess even the mighty chinese manufacturing industry suffers from "Friday afternoons " too ??

another thing to check is how they are preforming after 2 weeks or so outside - surprising how badly some products are weather proofed :wink:

any hoo just a word to the wise here :thumbright:
Interesting post and one I never thought about. Mind you I don't have enough money for food let alone pv panels but one thought came to mind. You say you bought another 2 12w panel;s, is there any reason why you are buying 12 w panels instead of 1 big 60w, 100w or 120w panel ?

I'm just thinking that 1 x 120w panel must be smaller than 10 x 12w panels.

Jusy curious...

SBA
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

simple question of economics AL - i have to buy them when they are on "offer" and the big ones are way outside my price bracket - so its build up the system slowly as funds permit :wink: - taken 4 years so far to get where i have as like you PV ain't exactly a priority - but as i have mentioned else where - i DO believe we in for some aggravation re supplies and cold weather ( more likely if we get the latter the former will fail ) so basically i am hedging my bets

less any kind persons want to sponsor me some big panels to test / keep :lol: :lol: :lol: - nah thought not :roll: , its hope i win a small amount on the lottery - also unlikely as i don't waste money on that

:thumbright:

Big Al

brett53 wrote:simple question of economics AL - i have to buy them when they are on "offer" and the big ones are way outside my price bracket - so its build up the system slowly as funds permit :wink: - taken 4 years so far to get where i have as like you PV ain't exactly a priority - but as i have mentioned else where - i DO believe we in for some aggravation re supplies and cold weather ( more likely if we get the latter the former will fail ) so basically i am hedging my bets

less any kind persons want to sponsor me some big panels to test / keep :lol: :lol: :lol: - nah thought not :roll: , its hope i win a small amount on the lottery - also unlikely as i don't waste money on that

:thumbright:
i thought it might be money,lol.... it always is. The thing is for a considerably small sum ( in the grand scheme of things that is) of £20k I could rewire, internally insulate and then replaster the house, install a wood burner, solar thermal and pv and pay off a small debt. I would claim over £1650 in feed in tariffs then buy back less than £300 in electric but be warmer and safer in the house and reduce the carbon footprint to virtually zero.....

..... but then the poor have to suffer to make the rich richer........
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

brett53
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

AMEN to that brother :thumbright: