Missing plums

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Missing plums

At this time of year I normally pick bags and bags of wild plums from some bushes near me, went to the place yesterday and there were none at all, not even any rotting on the ground. Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on here, has it been bad conditions for plums in the South this year. I am very disappointed because I was going to make a lovely jam from them, I had tons of jars saved and everything :(

Nonogon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34
longitude: 34

Re: Missing plums

I've had hundreds so don't know what's happened to yours I'm afraid. Although saying that, some were from a tree my son was given last winter so first year we've had it. Most were from a tree in the garden of a house we've just moved into so although I think it's hundreds, may be far less than normal! They haven't been particularly big though and I doubt they were thinned out so maybe we would normally get a bigger/better crop. Can't imagine what I'd do with any extras though. If you were closer, you could use them!

Helsbells

Awww thanks, you should make plum jam, it is so delicious.

Nonogon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34
longitude: 34

Made some the other day and lots of plum crumbles. My fingers have gone brown from cutting so many plums in half to get rid of stones! They look filthy despite washing hundreds of times. I'd wear gloves to do it but that just makes it really fiddly.