Plant with Red stem and Black Berries - help identify :)

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
wirelessdreamer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Plant with Red stem and Black Berries - help identify :)

I'm not sure what kind of plant this is. I thought at first it might be elderberry from the stem color, and berry color, but when I started comparing it to references, and am not sure what it is now.

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... 6f6c3c.jpg

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Plant with Red stem and Black Berries - help identify :)

A better view of the leaf would be helpful, flat-on and with a coin for scale -same with the berries please, a coin for scale. And if possible a wider shot of the growth habit of the whole plant. For elder being able to see new wood and old wood also aids a solid identification.

It looks elder-ish but I wouldn't like to say for certain without better identification photographs.. I'm less than 50% confident on elder at the moment.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Looks like pokeweed to me. The berries are poisonous, but they can be used to make ink. In the very early spring, the greens can be cooked in a couple changes of water and eaten.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I agree that it does look a lot like elder, but as you've figured out by now, the arrangement of the berries is completely wrong - elderberries grow in big sprays. Also, the berries look a little bigger than elderberries.

I know this doesn't contribute to identifying your plant - I just thought I'd say you weren't far off with elder, at least as far as that sprig goes. I'm now going to go an look up pokeweed :study: - I love learning about new plants!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh yes.. knowing the country/continent would help as well ;) I forgot the OP was the paw-paw poster :D
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

I agree with the pokeweed identification. I've never seen it growing (me being from the UK). but if you search pokeweed on google images, there are several pics which concur.

Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

wirelessdreamer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thanks, it is pokeweed, just did some research on it. I've been seeing it all over lately, and wanted to know what it was, with how distinctive it is in look. I still haven't had any luck finding elderberry's