what to forage for on the Kent coast

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

what to forage for on the Kent coast

I am going down to Deal in Kent later on today and would like to have a go at foraging on the coast as i live in Nottingham i dont have much of a clue what to look for any suggestions would be very wellcome

Somnophore
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Re: what to forage for on the Kent coast

Probably a bit late for a reply now but you shoul invest in a good foraging book, there's lots of shoreline plants etc that you don't get anywhere else, stuff like sea beet, sea kale, wild cabbage, rock samphire and marsh samphire for starters, various seaweeds, also seafood, crabs, mussels, clams, cockles, razor clams etc

muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

it was a little late but thank you any way i did find some wild cabbage and also some wild fennal i think thats what they were also caught some dog fish so not a bad trip.if you could recomend a good field guide i would be greatfull

fungi2bwith

River cottage handbook No.5 (Edible seashore) by John Wright, is both informative and an entertaining read.