Early Blackberries

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Early Blackberries

Tony I suspect that any commercial variety you buy and grow yourself will be better than the fruit you bought as they were probably forced - like buying strawberries from supermarkets, they're always horrible. :iconbiggrin:

Had two yesterday from my young plant and they were truly full of flavour, much more than the wild ones here, not as sweet as their parent plant at my friend's house but (1) mine are young and (2) she has clay soil, I have the opposite, so probably that will make a difference too.

I guess the only thing you can do is buy one and see. I do agree about the best wild ones always being out of reach. :iconbiggrin:

But I'm 'well chuffed' with my new plants as I only took them cos she pushed them on me at a plant swap..... :mrgreen:

And talking of plant swaps :wink: after rooting some cuttings and giving away what I could, I am still left with 6 young gooseberries ..... hmmmmmm........ :shock: Might have to be brutal and chuck some of them!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

WILDBREW
Tom Good
Tom Good

I got 4lb of Blackberrys, this week to make some Blackberry whisky,any more i get will be for my
wine making.

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

WILDBREW wrote:I got 4lb of Blackberrys, this week to make some Blackberry whisky,any more i get will be for my
wine making.
Where did you pick them?
In Wigan they seemed to come out really early, but within a couple of weeks went all shrivelled and brown. Does this mean they've caught some sort of disease?