Early Blackberries

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

Early Blackberries

I picked 300g of wild blackberries from the allotment last Friday (22nd July 2011).

I froze them, to stockpile gradually until I have enough to make jam!!!!

Early or what?!

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Early Blackberries

very early

we started 2 weeks ago, so far have 7lb in the freezer for wine.

Love the fruit, hate the scratches

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

started picking them here too. thought looking back on my blog... seems to be about the same time as previous years.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have just picked 5lb today from my field, it is definitely early for here. Normally I am not picking till mid August.
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

noplasticbags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm lots later than everyone so far, but got really excited to find the first ones here today (and someone told me where there are wild raspberries too)

Millymollymandy

Nothing to pick here - they are so small and pathetic due to early drought that some berries only have about 3 or 4 blobs on them. :(

Thank god I now have those cultivated thornless ones, because they are enormous, taste sweet and fabulous and don't have that horrid hard centre that wild ones have. :thumbright: I'll have to wait for next year for a decent amount but I've seen and tasted them round my friend's and they are just amazing! Never liked the wild ones anyway, only any good for jelly but not for eating.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

I picked looooads down near my parent's house in Surrey at the weekend. I made smoothies with them, yummy! :iconbiggrin:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I've just picked my first decent tubfull this year. Much earlier than last year, when I hardly had any at all.

Zoe

Millymollymandy

Obviously wasn't droughty enough in England then this spring. :lol: They are the one fruit which is not early this year either.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Thank god I now have those cultivated thornless ones, because they are enormous, taste sweet and fabulous
Any idea what the variety name is MMM, and do they have a true blackberry taste.
I love blackberries and it's getting difficult for me to pick wild ones, but years ago I BOUGHT :shock: a punnet of some huge commercial blackberries (just to see what they tasted like) and I thought they were pretty much tasteless, very sweet, but tasteless.
That was several years ago mind and they probably have far better varieties now.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Our brambles are still not ready yet and I have a row of jars in the kitchen just waiting to be filled with bramble jams and jellies! :(

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I already have a decent stock (of wild ones) in the freezer, and more are arriving constantly. By traditional standards, it's early - but I was collecting them at the same time last year too. I think we may have to adjust our perceptions of early.

And I'm with Odsox - the cultivated varieties don't have the same acidic background taste and therefore are merely sickly sweet. No good for winemaking, but then I'm a bit biassed in that direction.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:Thank god I now have those cultivated thornless ones, because they are enormous, taste sweet and fabulous
Any idea what the variety name is MMM, and do they have a true blackberry taste.
I love blackberries and it's getting difficult for me to pick wild ones, but years ago I BOUGHT :shock: a punnet of some huge commercial blackberries (just to see what they tasted like) and I thought they were pretty much tasteless, very sweet, but tasteless.
That was several years ago mind and they probably have far better varieties now.
I don't know unfortunately, they are just from a friend who seems to not know what any of her varieties of anything are. :iconbiggrin:

I don't like wild blackberries, I don't like the taste (lack of), lack of sweetness and the nasty hard centre. I only use them for bramble jelly, never for crumbles or for eating as I find them really unpleasant. The cultivated ones on the other hand were just like eating giant raspberries (but with a different flavour if you know what I mean :wink: ).

But I suspect our very dry soil here means that our wild blackberries are not as good as they are in damper places, so I can't easily compare with 'good' wild ones. :dontknow:

Sorry I can't be any more helpful. :(

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a shame, but thanks MMM.
Our wild blackberries are always large, juicy and tasty with no hard centres at all, or most briars are.
The only problem is all the best ones are either out of reach, behind electric fences or just plain difficult to get to.

I was hoping you were going to tell me that modern commercial varieties are now the same as my wild ones, only bigger, juicier, tastier and thornless, especially as this winter I'm planting up a new soft fruit garden.

Edit to say that I suppose the answer is to find the biggest, tastiest wild one and take a cutting, but it goes against the grain a bit to actually plant brambles in my garden. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

total so far is 50lb for wine.

although other half says i look like i self harm,