Forget-me-not

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Lord Lycoperdon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 37
longitude: 122

Forget-me-not

This site says forget-me-nots are edible http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/flowers/pcd13a.html . But I can't find anything else to back up the claim. Anyone ever eaten it?

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Forget-me-not

No I've not eaten them, I should think the flowers are edible because they get sugared for cakes sometimes but I cant imagine the leaves having a nice texture, aren't they a bit furry? If it's not widely known it probably tastes bad or is not worth collecting. I read they were good near raspberries for detering the beetle that attacks the fruit, don't know if anyone else has heard of that either.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

shiela_robins
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

er...why would you want to eat them?

winner71
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I decorate cupcakes with edible flowers.

Forget-me-not flowers are to be approached with caution as there is a tiny risk of ingesting very small amounts of a hepatotoxin (liver toxin). The levels in the flowers are tiny and theoretically a few flowers wouldn't harm you, but I wouldn't take the risk myself. I'd class them as 'don't eat'.