Spring foraging - wild onions vs wild leeks?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
KateSheridan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Spring foraging - wild onions vs wild leeks?

Hi all. I've just begun my spring foraging (I'm in Michigan USA, near the lake) and wondered if anyone had a fool-proof distinction between wild leeks (ramps) and wild onions, or even if it makes any difference. I know the flowers are different colors and they bloom at different times, but is there any definite distinction between them really?

Thanks. I am an avid forager and do onions/leeks all year. They are up now and I've transplanted some leeks to my flower garden up front to see what will happen. So much easier to grab a handful from the front yard than to haul on the boots and head out to the woods every time!

kate ;-)

www.gardenandhearth.com/RuralLiving.htm

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I wish something like that would grow wild here! I think there's some wild garlic in places, but onions and leek? Seeing that I use a lot of both, I could save a fortune!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

I think the only thing I know is wild garlic!

KateSheridan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

more about wild leeks and onions

What a shame not to have wild leeks and onions! Why would that be? Maybe we're talking about the same plant? When I master the art of linking photos, I'll try to shoot a few of what I'm talking about and link them. What does your wild garlic look like and what do you eat of it?

I always thought wild garlic had fewer and slightly larger little florets and had a more tubular stem? My wild leeks have thicker leaves, maybe two inches wide, very green in spring, then the foliage fades off and what's left is a thin stem that supports the flowers. These grow in my woods and on my hillside right at the edge of the woods (so it is shaded) and I find them mostly at the base of trees

My wild onions grow in the sun and have pinkish flowers that bloom later than the leeks.

I'll have a little article up about them soon and will pass it along! Anything you can add will be very appreciated.
:cheers: kate

www.gardenandhearth.com/RuralLiving.htm

KateSheridan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

The article is just up today -- Wild Leeks and Onions -- A Forager's White Gold.
They are growing by leaps and bounds as we speak. It's very damp and foggy here today.

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/RuralLiving/Leeks.htm

:cheers:
kate

Millymollymandy

Thanks for the latin names. What we are talking about is Allium ursinum also known as wild garlic or bear's garlic or ransomes.

I have googled Allium tricoccum and A. Stellatum. I think they are only found in the US!