Nettles

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Clazbear
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nettles

Hi,
I would like to ask a question that has me a little confussed.

My hubby and I are not complete foraging novices, we both used to go berry picking as kids and scrumping for apples. but that's about it. As a couple and family we have never been out doing it together, but we are going to start.

I want blackberries and hawberries and apples.
My Hubby wants to get nettles and elderflowers and try making some beer/wine.

Now, we have watched many of those TV programmes and especially like river cottage and from the look of it, it is ok to forage for nettles. But I was also thinking of growing my own as well.

And yet I have just read an article about the benefits of nettles, it tells you how to grow your own patch and this is where the confussion starts.
It says to get someone to donate to you some nettles as they are wild and should not be taken from the countryside?! :?

So, are we not allowed to forage wild nettles? :?

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Nettles

Hi there,
I don't think anyone round here would really miss a few to make beer/wine there's so many, also good substitute for spinach apparently(never tried it though)
There's an article on the homebrew section of the main site maybe able to point you in the right direction
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Couldn't tell you bout the legality of taking from wild, but my pa, in his infinite wisdom decided to grow them unrestrained here in NZ. they are weeds and very difficult to get rid of. if you do want to grow them i would advocate using raised pots so the can't root in the ground.
nettle soup can be quite nice. im yet to make nettle beer
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

As I understand the law, (& I am NOT a lawer), you can forage the tops, but digging up roots, even of a common weed like nettles is forbidden.

I doubt you'll have trouble finding a willing donor though, if non of your friends have a patch, keep your eyes peeled for some one who has & just knock on their door. They will, of course, think you're completely barking, but does that matter?

I have some you could have if you fancy a trip to Leicester & I won't think you any madder than me... :wink:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

PM me Clazbear - I'll send you some seeds. It'll be next week though, I'm off to Manchester in the morning.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

applegirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I would definitely recommend nettle soup (good recipe in the River Cottage Cookbook) and now is the best time with all those fresh leaves. Hawthorn leaves are also good now to put a few in a salad. I would recommend the Food for Free book by Richard Mabey which has the information you could ever need and quite a lot more.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can come to my garden any time you like - they've gone mad here!!!! I generally try and keep on top of the brambles but now the nettles have sprung up everywhere - either in place of the brambles or as well - I keep a couple of patches but they're making a bid for full ownership of the garden boundaries at the mo :shock:

The roots go for miles - complete pestilance, never mind the law - I don't think nettles are exactly an endangered species. I thought the picking of wildflowers was more related to snowdrops / bluebells etc.

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

If you grab a nettle down by the botom of the stem and pull you will find that much of the root system is just under the surface. You will only need a part of this to p[ropogate. At the moment we are having nettles in just about anything, soups, cheese & onion (well ransome) pies, omelettes...you name it. The beauty of it is that mixed with other stuff it has little flavour of it's own. As a veg...like spinach..it tends to be a bit coarse but certainly edible. Oh yes great chopped up into mashed potato as well. Full of countless vitamins, higher in iron than spinach and free

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

Clazbear
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I like the sound of putting it in with the mashed spuds. I like watercress mixed in with mash so I'm looking forward to using them in that way.

I can't wait to try it in soups too.

Hubby wants to make nettle beer!

Silver Ether

hehe ... nettles in with the spuds great ... I will do that old fella will think its parsley :cheers:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.