Striking blackcurrant cuttings

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Striking blackcurrant cuttings

Is there a way you can dry the currants then sell online? The leaves are edible, btw, you could use them instead of vine leaves if you like dolmas. Has anyone used them as a herbal tea? I know raspberry leaves can be used like that.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I dried some blackcurrants a few years ago and they were pretty much inedible like that. Mrs Odsox made fruit buns with the dried currants and although the flavour was quite nice the currants were still obnoxiously seedy.
I didn't try making tea with them though.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I too y blackcurrants and they were too gritty to eat, but I put them into some herbal tea you have to leave them to steep for a while, I have a diffuser tea pot and mixed with lemon verbena which was very pleasant, the blackcurrants need squishing first to allow the water to penetrate better

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yesterday, I decide to browse through a Constance Spry recipe book that I bought... last year. Blackcurrant leaves are mentioned in a couple of the recipes. On dealing with the bushes I never noticed anything special about them, but it seems that they have some sort of flavour that makes them worth putting in desserts.
There's blackcurrant leaf ice and spiced plums in blackcurrant leaves!